What Does This Letter From DISH Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I subscribed to DISH about a month ago. I got this letter in the mail yesterday. I called DISH and they said there was no problem with my credit and that I had the maximum discounts I could get. My credit score is 824 as of Equifax last night.

What does this mean?

Means they screwed you. I never liked Dish's loopholes and customer practices. I just got rid of DTV and only watch what's on my Amazon Fire now. I get all the major networks, and NBC sports as well. It's included in my Prime membership.

They're saying you don't have any current accounts for phone, TV, or utilities. Is this true? Not sure why that would matter.

This is what stands out, in my mind: no recently reported NCTUE.

I interpret that to mean you don't have any recent utilities or telecom bills, or they're too new and you don't have enough of a history. Is this true?

https://www.nctue.com/

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone - including the person with perfect credit - all have reason codes like the ones you see listed. They are why your score wasn't higher, and may not make sense.

The first question - do you current utility providers even report to the bureau? They may not. I don't see any of my providers on my CBR when I do my quarterly review of the data on it.

The rep was wrong. You were turned down for some offer because of your CBR history.

I've lived in same house for last 23 years. Utility bills every month. No land line phone. Had cable TV service before. Was a DISH customer in last 7 years.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I subscribed to DISH about a month ago. I got this letter in the mail yesterday. I called DISH and they said there was no problem with my credit and that I had the maximum discounts I could get. My credit score is 824 as of Equifax last night.

What does this mean?

The rep was incorrect. Ask for a supervisor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Means they screwed you. I never liked Dish's loopholes and customer practices. I just got rid of DTV and only watch what's on my Amazon Fire now. I get all the major networks, and NBC sports as well. It's included in my Prime membership.

If the OP doesn't meet their criteria-please explained how he is being "screwed"?

CKN, because they always come up with new and creative ways to create new hoops to jump through, thereby forcing a larger number of customers into the higher deposit or monthly bills.

DISH tried to pull the same thing with my mom- lived at same house for 25 years, 870+ credit at 3 major bureaus, said she needed a deposit. DTV signed her up without looking twice.

They still want you as a customer but you just might not get all the free stuff they offer on TV.

If you have to pay for a receiver for example just get a used one from craigslist/ goodwill.

If you figure out what they'll give you and and what you're paying for and offended by how it doesn't match the advertised promises, call customer service and tell them you're thinking of leaving, it's not fair, but they can retain you if...

Well here is how I think of it.

Dish leases you the equipment, and they invest labor in having someone come to your house and install said equipment.

They use a credit bureau algorithm to make sure you aren't going to stiff them on payment, and steal the equipment.

So they see that you did not have enough reporting of utility bill payment on time, so an automated system flagged it and sent you that letter.

Why they tie credit to promotional pricing that doesn't make sense to me.

We had both Dish companies over the years and absolutely hate DirecTV. They have gone to [censored] after ATT consumed them.

We decided to cancel everything and just use slingTV and I have had it for nearly 2 years now and it has been very good. More reliable than DirecTV that would go out if a cloud went over the house.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Well here is how I think of it.

So they see that you did not have enough reporting of utility bill payment on time, so an automated system flagged it and sent you that letter...

I went through our Equifax report. We have never been late on a payment. Our utility bills come out automatically. Our credit score is 824. I don't understand.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Gebo

What does this mean?

The rep was incorrect. Ask for a supervisor.

I'm gonna call back and get a supervisor. Thank you!

It's been a year since my Dish needed re-aiming after my condos roof was replaced. They wanted $125 or install new equipment and take on another commitment. Used that excuse to cut the cord and haven't looked back. Tons of stuff on Roku--on demand. Pluto. Antenna. Why did I wait so long? Now I go off on noisy tirades when DirectTV shills get in front of my at Costco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
824 means you like to pay banks a lot of interest!
No it doesn't. That's what my grandparent's credit score is and they haven't had a bank loan in almost 20 years, except for a car loan last November that they paid off after 1 month. Credit cards paid off at the end of each month. No interest paid.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
824 means you like to pay banks a lot of interest!

Posted by a Dave Ramsey fan..............

BTW-I retired at 55 years of age not listening to Dave Ramsey.......

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Can you get the internet over a satellite dish ?

Yes-there are services for that. However-speeds are generally much slower AND MORE EXPENSIVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back