Drove thru Concrete Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened to me yesterday.

I approach an intersection (posted speed limit is 30 MPH)
I'm 2 cars from the 'red' signal and see this big cloud of dust.
Apparently there was a broken bag of concrete mix in the road.
Every car driving from my left to my right drives thru it causing clouds of dust to be air born.

The only thing I could think of doing is:
Drive thru very slowly (10 MPH) so the engine isn't sucking in more air.
I tried to minimize the situation, but what could be worse than concrete dust.

What would you all have done afterwards ? ? ?
1) Change the oil (I'm due for oil change in Nov)
2) Change Air Filter
3) Nothing

I'd hit the air recirc button to minimize the dust in the cabin and therefore the dust into my lungs. As far as the car: 3) Nothing.

That's why cars have filters.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd hit the air recirc button to minimize the dust in the cabin and therefore the dust into my lungs. As far as the car: 3) Nothing.

That's why cars have filters.
+1

I would go with 2 for state of mind... so I wouldn't be thinking about
the what if.. the filter got a hole... and in goes the trapped dust..
sick.gif

Agree with others, however, I'd be concerned about concrete dust on the outside of my car. Hit the nearest touchless car wash!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I would go with 2 for state of mind... so I wouldn't be thinking about
the what if.. the filter got a hole... and in goes the trapped dust..
sick.gif

So with this thinking a person that lived or drove on a gravel road would have to spend a lot of time changing air filters!

You will be fine. I have put thousands of miles on dusty gravel roads and never had an engine go out yet.

My choice would be 3 - that small amount of concrete dust won't hurt a thing if your air filter is already in good shape.

I would also add another step: Car Wash. Get that concrete dust off the paint ASAP.

I am a inspector. I live in dust and sometimes concrete dust. We just did a concrete roadway slab replacement where they cut 12" slabs and removed all night long. 10 hours.
My truck as well as the contractors equipment are buried in dust for hours not a quick pass thru. My truck has lived in this harsh environment, idling for 8 hours a day and has 236,000+ miles on it with minimal maintenance so you will be fine.

Last edited:
Nothing. I hauled powder cement for 4 years. Truck and me were in it all the time plus regular dust etc. Still got 600k + out of those engines. Your little 15 seconds wont matter.

If you are worried , do 1 & 2 . And replace the cabin air filter , if you have one .

And give the car a bath .

Best wishes , :)

Most I would do is shake out/tap filters then vacuum. Then stick to normal maintenance intervals for oil. A few seconds driving through dust won't make a meaningful difference.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
This happened to me yesterday.

I approach an intersection (posted speed limit is 30 MPH)
I'm 2 cars from the 'red' signal and see this big cloud of dust.
Apparently there was a broken bag of concrete mix in the road.
Every car driving from my left to my right drives thru it causing clouds of dust to be air born.

The only thing I could think of doing is:
Drive thru very slowly (10 MPH) so the engine isn't sucking in more air.
I tried to minimize the situation, but what could be worse than concrete dust.

What would you all have done afterwards ? ? ?
1) Change the oil (I'm due for oil change in Nov)
2) Change Air Filter
3) Nothing

Well hind sight is always 20 20 but fast thinking and hind sight would have said put the car in neutral and let the engine RPM go way down. I'd suggest an early air filter change and the oil change would not be a bad idea. How long since your last OCI? Its not like you're going to save appreciable money by delaying the OCI!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back