Fumoto Valve, near disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Fumoto Valve on my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan right after I purchased it. Went out to the gun range shooting. Dirt road with some grass and stubble in the middle and along the sides, about four or five inches high. After shooting, we drove down another dirt road near the river. I wanted to show our pastor's son where to go fishing. I turned around at the top of the hill. As I started back, there was a trail of liquid about twenty feet from where I had just come. The trial was going back towards me. As I looked, it was obvious that it had come from my vehicle. Sure enough, I look underneath and oil was pouring from the valve. I was able to shut the engine off before it all leaked out. Unfortunately, it was difficult to get to the drain valve and it was hot. I finally succeeded in getting the valve closed. But not before losing five quarts of PUP. I was about 4k miles into my OCI. I am part of the Pennzoil UOA program. I called my wife and she brought me a case of oil. I only put five in, it has a 6 quart sump. Checked it this morning and it appears to be full. Now, I have to drain the oil into a clean container. I'm pulling the Fumoto Valve and replacing it with a drain plug. I will not take that chance again!

Thats kinda of scarry. I was thinking on putting on on my jetta. But I will occasionally go deer hunting and drive through some fields. Not going to take a chance if this has happened to you. Thanks for the information!

Perhaps I'm missing something here.. So the valve assembly came loose from the pan or the valve lever got moved to the open position? That's a highly unlikely scenario.

I never understood why anyone would want a Fumoto valve. I mean, you add obvious dangers of the thing getting hit, add more chances of leaks all for a for maybe 2 minutes saved on an oil change because you don't need to remove a drain plug and then you actually lose time because it flows slower than with the plug removed. I like to see the drain plug and wipe it clean during an oil change and most are magnetic which I prefer over a non magnetic Fumuto. I understand it may be cleaner to drain the pan but you only have to "suffer" thru a messy oil change a few times a year.

The only problem I have with a drain plug is I always forget to bring a paper towel, so I have to walk back into the house with an oily hand. Oh well. Really it's walk through the garage.

Didn't you put the little anti open thing on it? I thought it had a spring or something to keep it from opening.

The valve lever got moved and opened the drain. I had the plastic safety clip on it too. Lesson learned. I could be in a situation where I am making payments on a new vehicle with a blown engine with no means to repair it. Yikes!

There is a lock for the Fumoto valve that they sell, it locks the handle in place. I have not had any issues with my Fumoto, but I don't know the orientation of your valve. Maybe you can rotate it to get the handle up out of the way?

never happened to me. Been "soft-roading" on a lowered car to get to mountain bike trailheads and never an issue with the Fumoto Valve. Didn't need to use a constant tension spring clamp, that I originally bought.

I'd use it on the current car, but since the oil filter is mounted up top, I suck the oil out through the dipstick.

The scenario you described/experienced is the primary reason I elected not to install one on my PSD. Secondary is it would take "forever" to drain 3.5 gallons out through it.

On the vehicles I installed Fumotos on, the drain plug was high up, out of the way and covered by an engine belly pan. I always ordered them with the hose barb attached and I installed a rubber/plastic cap over the barb for added protection.

Originally Posted By: JTK
On the vehicles I installed Fumotos on, the drain plug was high up, out of the way and covered by an engine belly pan. I always ordered them with the hose barb attached and I installed a rubber/plastic cap over the barb for added protection.

Sounds like more work than just the factory drain bolt. I really don't see the appeal of these at all.

Sorry to hear about the near-disaster! I purchased two Fumotos for my Hondas. What can I say??? I'm addicted to gadgets. I used each of them exactly one OCI and decided they added absolutely zero value to my oil change and actually made it take longer. They're now sitting on a shelf in my building waiting for the day I find something they'll be useful for.

Side Note: My grandpa saw them sitting there and asked what they were for. I told him they were oil drain valves (didn't tell him I actually paid for them and used them). He thought for a minute and said, "I don't see how that would be worth a much"
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you guys use these things, or the drain plug, instead of vacuuming the oil through the dip stick hole?

FUMOTO = BIG NEGATORY GOOD BUDDY

They're for cleanly and easily sampling oil from HUGE systems.

The counterman at a truck parts place which sells them told me plainly, "You don't want one of these". True, I swear.

Yeah I'd never use one. My Jeep obviously goes off-road and I've taken my Sonata some places that I shouldn't have, like only 3 wheels on the ground. Camry too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back