2017 Hyundai Sonata - Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys - recently purchased a new 2017 Sonata (non-turbo) and looking for a recommendation on oil/filter to use. First oil change was done at dealer at 1k using conventional. Car has about 3.5k on it now and looking to switch to synthetic going forward (probably first change around 5-6k; then every 5-6k going forward). Thinking of using 5w20 Mobil1 Full Synthetic (not sure if there is a better option) but no idea what filter is recommended. I hear the OEM one is very good but also thinking of using Mobil1 104A. Would appreciate your input!!!

1. What kind of vehicle you have: 2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well: 5w20 printed on oil cap;
3. Where you live – Chicago Suburbs
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) Mostly Easy driving with occasional fast acceleration if needed
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) 90% is short/medium trips (groceries, dropping kids off at activities, etc.) + just a handful of longer (200+ mile) trips annually.
6. Whether your car has any known problems – None.

Interesting but first tell us doesn't your Sonata burn oil like all the other Hyundai horror stories I've been reading on here lately?

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Wife has same engine in her Hyundai. Recommend Quaker State Synthetic 5W20.

Yes I could agree with that and its still just $20.24 at Wally World shipped.

Last edited:
You can pick any major brand of oil and be assured of good quality. Follow the change schedule that Hyundai notes in the owners manual for warranty requirements.

Congrats on the new Sonata.

I have been using 5W20 Mobil 1 with OEM filters on two Hyundai 2.0L GDI engines with no issues. These are basically the same engine as you have.

Your Hyundai takes a 26300 35504 oil filter either from Mobis, Kia or Hyundai.

I picked up 10 filters from my Kia dealership for $50.

You can also get ten 26300 35503 filters with crush washers on Amazon for $39. This is an older version of the above.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Interesting but first tell us doesn't your Sonata burn oil like all the other Hyundai horror stories I've been reading on here lately?

He just purchased the car and asked for oil recommendations. There is not reason to think there will be any issues like burning oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You can pick any major brand of oil and be assured of good quality. Follow the change schedule that Hyundai notes in the owners manual for warranty requirements.

+101

If you look at your owner's manual you should see that, while 5w-20 is on the filler cap, 5w-30 and 10w-30 are also allowed. As your Hyundai has direct fuel injection that in turn contributes to fuel dilution and lowered viscosity, 5w-30 may be the best choice. If you park outdoors, you may want to use 5w-20 during the cold weather months.

As far as brand, all major oils are really good so this choice isn't so important. But if you go with 5w-20 choose one on the "thicker" side, so as to compensate a bit for fuel dilution. You can research product data sheets, but as examples Mobil and Castrol products tend to be on the higher-viscosity side.

Thank you for all for the quick feedback!

No issues with burning oil so far :)

Walmart has 5qt jugs of Mobil1 for $22.88 and there is a $12 rebate right now so will grab a few of those for starters & probably go with either M1 or the OEM filters that knerml recommended.

Question - I know Quaker is also recommended - any issues with switching back and forth between Mobil1, Quaker or other 5w20 full synthetics in the future (plan to just buy whatever is on sale...)?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Danh
If you look at your owner's manual you should see that, while 5w-20 is on the filler cap, 5w-30 and 10w-30 are also allowed. As your Hyundai has direct fuel injection that in turn contributes to fuel dilution and lowered viscosity, 5w-30 may be the best choice. If you park outdoors, you may want to use 5w-20 during the cold weather months.

As far as brand, all major oils are really good so this choice isn't so important. But if you go with 5w-20 choose one on the "thicker" side, so as to compensate a bit for fuel dilution. You can research product data sheets, but as examples Mobil and Castrol products tend to be on the higher-viscosity side.

Great input - thank you! So if I stick with Mobil1 then 5w20 should be OK - but for example if I go with Quaker then you are saying 5w30 would be a better choice?

Originally Posted By: knerml
I have been using 5W20 Mobil 1 with OEM filters on two Hyundai 2.0L GDI engines with no issues. These are basically the same engine as you have.

Your Hyundai takes a 26300 35504 oil filter either from Mobis, Kia or Hyundai.

I picked up 10 filters from my Kia dealership for $50.

You can also get ten 26300 35503 filters with crush washers on Amazon for $39. This is an older version of the above.

Going with the Kia branded filters (26300 35504) - just ordered a 10 pack from ebay for $36.63 shipped - thanks for the recommendation & part numbers!

Last edited:
In these 5W-20 recommended, but 5W-30 and 10W-30 allowed, cases take a look at M1 0W-30 AFE. It is (a little)thinner than most 5W-30's when cold, but it is still a 30. A little best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: ralphkaz
Originally Posted By: Danh

Great input - thank you! So if I stick with Mobil1 then 5w20 should be OK - but for example if I go with Quaker then you are saying 5w30 would be a better choice?

I think Mobil1 5w-30 would be a good choice all year. With fuel dilution it will turn into a 20 grade soon enough. If you planned to use a 5w-20 I was suggesting not using one of the thinner 20 weights, like Pennzoil.

Yup you can use 5w30 and 10w30. Being in a Chicago, 5w30 would be better.

I've run Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 5w30 in mine. Seems to like Mobil 1 a little better. I did a Used Oil Analysis and it was great at 6,200 miles. I'll go closer to 7,500 this run. Wasn't too hard on oil.

And ignore JohnnyJohnson, he's the resident psychopath-troll on here recently.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Currently own two and the have owned 4 in total. Never burned oil.

OP, some Thetta II engines dilute oil more then others. Because of this, many on here go with a step up in viscosity, i.e., 5W-30, but there really is no evidence that dilution harms anything at the levels noticed. There was also a recall issued for the 2.4 Thetta II engine due to machining error during production at Hyundai’s Alabama manufacturing plant. But that has been rectified and yours should be as reliable as mine have been, very reliable. Most on here use Synthetic (pick your brand) and go 5K miles between oil changes. I use whatever synthetic is on sale and scored 6 jugs of Quaker State Ultimate Durability on clearance at AAP - maybe you can still find some but in all honesty, Conventional oil will due just fine.

I have the same vehicle and will continue with either 5w20/30 or 10w30. I use Fram Xguard or OEM filters most of the time and keep my oci to 5K miles as well. The car will serve the you well and congrats on the purchase. I love this thing.

Recommendation summary
*Synthetic (preferred) - your winters can get pretty severe.
*OCI - 5K due to your 90% short trips.
*No issue whatsoever switching between oils.

Today's Conventional Oils can actually handle Hyundai's requirements. If that is the route you go, have no worries either.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: PimTac

+101

This is even more logical than my recommendation, to be honest.

If it were mine and I wanted to keep it as long as possible - I'd do 5000 mile OCIs using dino or blend to encourage full ring seating - until 25,000 miles. At 25k I'd switch over to any full synthetic and bump my OCI to 7500 miles which I'd stick with until the end of the 100,000 mile warranty. After that, I'd stay w synthetic and bump the OCI to 10,000 miles. If I wasn't going to keep it long term, I'd just use SuperTech dino and change every 7500. In either case, always keep the oil level topped off. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back