Fram Ultra New 20K Mile Rating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say your average OCI is 5K to 6K miles - would YOU leave the filter on for 3 to 4 OCI's now that the Fram Ultra is rated up to 20K miles ?
If not , how many OCI's with the Fram Ultra would you feel comfortable with running ?

In my view, there is no "rating". It is simply marketing hype. Where is all the test data to back up their claim? This filter carries the same warranty as all of their other filters. You must follow the oil filter change intervals as specified in your owner's manual.
How long I would use this filter depends on many things including the age/condition of the engine it's being used in. While under warranty I certainly wouldn't use it for longer than stated in the owner's manual.

In a clean engine I think that three 5 or 6K OCIs are easily doable from what I've seen of cut open FUs.

I personally wouldn't go over 15 or 16K because filters are cheap...I'd probably do 2 7500-8000 mile OCIs with synthetic oil.

In a dirty engine all bets are off.....

I use Fram Ultra's for 2 OCI's of about 8-9000 miles since we do mostly highway. The oil definitely looks used, and I've never cut open a filter, but it seems fine for our easy usage. The biggest issue is getting the filter off actually, as they seem to stick if they are on for a year, so now I give them a wiggle when I change the oil.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In my view, there is no "rating". It is simply marketing hype. Where is all the test data to back up their claim? This filter carries the same warranty as all of their other filters. You must follow the oil filter change intervals as specified in your owner's manual.
How long I would use this filter depends on many things including the age/condition of the engine it's being used in. While under warranty I certainly wouldn't use it for longer than stated in the owner's manual.

Yup.

In a broken in clean engine I wouldn't hesitate going 10k, longer if the OCI goes that far.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The biggest issue is getting the filter off actually, as they seem to stick if they are on for a year, so now I give them a wiggle when I change the oil.

Same thing happens to me after a single 7k OCI. Just the Ultra not the TG or any other Fram. Sometimes need a wrench to get them off.

All three of my Honda owner's manuals say to change the oil filter every other oil change and that's how I do it (especially the Civics since they're a pain to get to). I'll have to check my maintenance records, but I think I've ran a FU up to 17-18K before (2 OCI's). I have no reason to think the filter wouldn't do the same mileage with more OCI's.

My Frontier's manual says oil and filter every 5,000 miles. As long as it's under warranty, that's how I'll do it.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
new oil = new filter. That was always how I do it.

Most modern filters hold maybe 1/4 quart of oil, which is pretty insignificant compared to the total used oil that stays in the engine after draining. Plus, leaving the filter on eliminates one dry start-up and a used filter filters more effectively than a new one (within reasonable limits, of course).

And it's so darned quick, easy and unmessy to do an oil change without the filter. Especially if you have an extractor to drain the sump from the dipstick tube.

I've always afforded a new filter with every OCI and will continue to do so. I still do my OCI's for less than a oil house with full synthetic and a 99% plus Purolator One for under $30. Actually in most cases for very close to $25.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
All three of my Honda owner's manuals say to change the oil filter every other oil change and that's how I do it (especially the Civics since they're a pain to get to). I'll have to check my maintenance records, but I think I've ran a FU up to 17-18K before (2 OCI's). I have no reason to think the filter wouldn't do the same mileage with more OCI's.

My Frontier's manual says oil and filter every 5,000 miles. As long as it's under warranty, that's how I'll do it.

It's interesting how Nissan went to 5,000 mile OCI on your Frontier I assume you have the 4.0 V6? I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and they recommend 3,750 for severe service and 7,500 for normal service oil and filter. I do about 4,000 mile change in summer towing my camper with whatever filter and 5-7,000 miles in winter with a Fram Ulta for two changes. Seems to work out fine but the small filter on Nissan's 4.0 V6 makes me nervous!

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
It would take me some time to get to 20K. I'm perfectly content with running two OCI's. Just goes to show how awesome these filters are.
Is "awesome" a scientific term?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
new oil = new filter. That was always how I do it.

Me too, although with the Pentastar cartridge filter my Jeep uses I might drain the housing check the filter and give it a shot at a second OCI. I won't do it with a traditional screw on filter.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
It's interesting how Nissan went to 5,000 mile OCI on your Frontier I assume you have the 4.0 V6? I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and they recommend 3,750 for severe service and 7,500 for normal service oil and filter. I do about 4,000 mile change in summer towing my camper with whatever filter and 5-7,000 miles in winter with a Fram Ulta for two changes. Seems to work out fine but the small filter on Nissan's 4.0 V6 makes me nervous!

It is the V6. I had to double check the maintenance schedule to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. Strange thing is, there is no severe-service oil change interval (if I'm reading that correctly). The only severe service fluid changes are at 20,000 miles for ATF, diffs, and t-case. I'm figuring on splitting the difference with those and do them around 30,000.

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Originally Posted By: Camprunner

It is the V6. I had to double check the maintenance schedule to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. Strange thing is, there is no severe-service oil change interval (if I'm reading that correctly). The only severe service fluid changes are at 20,000 miles for ATF, diffs, and t-case. I'm figuring on splitting the difference with those and do them around 30,000.

Click to reveal..

Click to reveal..

By the way if you tow anything run a solid 10w30 or better in that V6 and change it early the VQ40DE timing chains can shear oil like a bad thing at high RPM

I've switched most of my cars over to extended drain filters like M1 and FU. My OCIs are b/w 5-7500 miles and I don't do much highway driving anymore. For simplicity's sake, I run the filters for 2 oil changes then change them (10-15k). Maybe they can go longer but why chance it trying to extract a few more miles out of something that only costs $10 to replace?

Last edited:
For my Jeep I keep it in for three OCIs(~12-15k), I have the over sized filter and my engine is relatively clean. Makes changing the oil take only 10 min which is nice.

Most OEMs say oil and filter change, iirc newer cars are saying a filter every other oil change now too.

Just like using quality synthetic oil, you can usually go extend the OCI, the same is true for a good quality filter (Ultra).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back