Spec OEM fluid price gouging : your experience ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Buick Regal awd 40k : Fluid change for : rear Diff / transfer case / rear Diff clutch / haldex unit. : Rear Diff was fine used delo syn 75w-90. / Transfer case was "ac delco only" 75w-90 @ $50.00 per quart. Could not find an approved substitute. / Rear Diff Clutch / Haldex unit was a different 75w-90 "ac delco only" fluid for $55.00 per quart. Good thing I had to bend over to finish the job.

The fluid has a 0.05% component oil found only in the dorsal fin of the Narwhal.

It is the result of its extreme rarity that the cost is so high but its also the singke greatest lubricant for any transmission including the CVT.

One of its unique qualities is that it has never been successfully replicated in the lab by synthetic means. Something to do with an isotope found in its benthic prey and absorbed in the Narwhal oil.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
The fluid has a 0.05% component oil found only in the dorsal fin of the Narwhal.

It is the result of its extreme rarity that the cost is so high but its also the singke greatest lubricant for any transmission including the CVT.

One of its unique qualities is that it has never been successfully replicated in the lab by synthetic means. Something to do with an isotope found in its benthic prey and absorbed in the Narwhal oil.

You are ALL welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX9IRXIF5Ak

I recently went to the local Honda dealer to buy some manual transmission fluid and Dual Pump fluid for my CR-V. Both fluids were about 8 dollars per quart. I bought 3 qts of the transmission fluid and 2 qts of the Dual Pump fluid and the total was $46. Not too bad.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I recently went to the local Honda dealer to buy some manual transmission fluid and Dual Pump fluid for my CR-V. Both fluids were about 8 dollars per quart. I bought 3 qts of the transmission fluid and 2 qts of the Dual Pump fluid and the total was $46. Not too bad.

And you overpaid
grin.gif

Just kidding.

Everything about the CR-V is designed to be practical, dependable and economical.

Its a modern hybrid of the old FJ40 and pre-85 VWs.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
2014 Buick Regal awd 40k : Fluid change for : rear Diff / transfer case / rear Diff clutch / haldex unit. : Rear Diff was fine used delo syn 75w-90. / Transfer case was "ac delco only" 75w-90 @ $50.00 per quart. Could not find an approved substitute. / Rear Diff Clutch / Haldex unit was a different 75w-90 "ac delco only" fluid for $55.00 per quart. Good thing I had to bend over to finish the job.

Not only that gouging on the products they are also charging at a rate like my Chevy dealership about $200 an hour labor.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Not only that gouging on the products they are also charging at a rate like my Chevy dealership about $200 an hour labor.

$200/hour labor ?

And they book the labor rather than actual.

What a racket....it makes healthcare providers look like saints.

$200/hour labor ?

No kidding! My "health insurance" just dropped the clinic network we normally go to so I've been forced to take my son to a new provider. It was a well check simply to renew his RX. Since he was a "new patient", they charged us $235 for a less than 10 minute visit! Of course, my insurance is high deductible, so I'm out of pocket for that. I'd be HAPPY to only pay $200/hr in this instance.

To the OPs complaint..... My local Nissan dealer upped the price of their MTF from $14 to $36 per quart. Needless to say, I went back to Redline MTF. Some OEM fluids are nothing special and/or simply priced reasonably (my local Ford dealer, for example). Some, you'd think it was distilled pancreatic fluid from mermaids to cost what they charge.

$200/hour labor ?

That's what my Mercedes dealer charges, $200/hour. And they have a free breakfast/lunch bar along with racks of coolers like a convenience store with all sorts of different drinks for free. Or you get the free Mercedes rental whenever you get any service work done. Still I avoid it unless necessary and go to an indy at 1/4 to 1/2 the price.

$200/hour labor ?

the labor rate is associated the cost of doing business in the area. Higher costs of living/running a business means higher labor rates. If you live in the middle of nowhere, where costs are low, then the labor rates are lower.

I my neck of the woods, the VW dealership charges $175/hr. If I go to central PA, near Williamsport, the labor rate is half of it.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

$200/hour labor ?

the labor rate is associated the cost of doing business in the area. Higher costs of living/running a business means higher labor rates. If you live in the middle of nowhere, where costs are low, then the labor rates are lower.

I my neck of the woods, the VW dealership charges $175/hr. If I go to central PA, near Williamsport, the labor rate is half of it.

Yes, I do understand how this is all excused but how much does a private garage get in the same area?

Or better yet, how much do their mechanics earn per hour? Your reason above cuts both ways. If its an excuse to charge more then its a reason to pay employees more.

But I had a business trip to Chicago a month ago and the dealership mechanics were all picketing. I asked them what the gripe was and they were intentionally vague on specifics so I googled it and found their demands were outrageous.

Maybe its time everyone takes a step back and quits thinking its OK to rip everybody else off.

You will have to excuse me because I grew up in a community of reasonable people who did good work for fair prices. It was not in the middle of nowhere.

The BMW engine oils and DCT oils are particularly bad.

My local dealer sells a single quart of the Shell-made (BMW-branded) 10w60 for like $24 + tax. I think the DCT fluid (Pentosin FFL4) is also up there at like $40/qt.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

$200/hour labor ?

Yes, I do understand how this is all excused but how much does a private garage get in the same area?

Or better yet, how much do their mechanics earn per hour? Your reason above cuts both ways. If its an excuse to charge more then its a reason to pay employees more.

But I had a business trip to Chicago a month ago and the dealership mechanics were all picketing. I asked them what the gripe was and they were intentionally vague on specifics so I googled it and found their demands were outrageous.

Maybe its time everyone takes a step back and quits thinking its OK to rip everybody else off.

You will have to excuse me because I grew up in a community of reasonable people who did good work for fair prices. It was not in the middle of nowhere.

Smaller shops, aka independent mechanics will set their rates accordingly in order to stay in business. If the cost of rental property is high, they have to charge accordingly. If they are able to own their property, they can set their rates accordingly. Utility rates also come into effect as well, as well as the various taxes they need to pay.

They don't have to worry about the additional overhead that dealerships need to take into account, including ObamaCare's employer mandate (50 or more employees).

In the Chicago area's case, dealerships will have to worry about the costs of dealing with the union and technicians that belong to the union.

It's not a simple black & white deal.

If all that labor rates bother you, then you should DIY for routine maintenance. Then you can control your own costs by buying all the parts yourself, tools, and save on labor by DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back