Gear oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pilot calls for an SAE 90 GL-4/5 gear oil in the transfer case. Many peeps seem to run Mobil 1 75w90. When it comes to gear oil, I don't know squat. What're the advantages of a syn gear oil versus a conventional? From what I've read, the transfer case in these cars puts little stress on the fluid.

Thank you!

I like to use the Valvoline SynPower 75w90. It's synthetic and pretty cheap, I get it from Auto Zone. Have it in my Jeep and the grandparent's Trailblazer.

I would say that for you, living in the Northeast where you have real and cold winters, the only significant advantage of synthetic gear oil is that it will stay somewhat thinner and not thicken as much as conventional oil when it gets real cold out. Hard to put a number on it but over the course of a winter the lower rolling resistance and resultant slight fuel savings might make up the cost difference, especially if you make a lot of short trips and the transfer case rarely gets up to operating temp. That's my 2 cents worth.

Amsoil has been the best for my application. Pablo will give you a great price. I could not find a local part store, who carried GL4 for transfer case. GL5 is for axles.

Respectfully,

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Amsoil Severe Gear.
+1 - Arguably the best gear oil on the market

Originally Posted By: mclasser
My Pilot calls for an SAE 90 GL-4/5 gear oil in the transfer case. Many peeps seem to run Mobil 1 75w90. When it comes to gear oil, I don't know squat. What're the advantages of a syn gear oil versus a conventional? From what I've read, the transfer case in these cars puts little stress on the fluid.

Thank you!

I think you could also use either this:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2077.pdf

or this,

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

Hi,

syn gear oils can have many performance advantages over syn gear oils. Several years ago I did extensive testing in my OTH vehicles and settled on two;

Delvac 1 75W-90
Castrol Syntrax 75W-90

Both performed about the same over many millions of ks.
Advantages over a conventional oil were longer seal life, much cooler running and a huge increase in OCI - in fact I never change some at all just monitred them for contamination and wear metals taking action as and if needed

Last edited:
Sounds like you can use a nonproprietary gear oil in your transfer case. AutoZone has Delo XDM 75w-90 full synthetic for six bucks a quart. Suppose to be good stuff, I just bought 3 quarts.

Here at the dealer we just use bulk Kendall 75/90. I have never heard of, or seen a failed transfer case. Guess you could use a synthetic gear oil and maybe get slightly better mileage in cold weather. I use Redline gear oils in all my cars.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

syn gear oils can have many performance advantages over syn gear oils. Several years ago I did extensive testing in my OTH vehicles and settled on two;

Delvac 1 75W-90
Castrol Syntrax 75W-90

Both performed about the same over many millions of ks.
Advantages over a conventional oil were longer seal life, much cooler running and a huge increase in OCI - in fact I never change some at all just monitored them for contamination and wear metals taking action as and if needed

Always good to see you here Doug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back