Meguiars cleaner wax paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tub of it.. bought it because I was curious to know how well it cleans, and whether it would remove any swirling or other light defects, as well as durability.

My conclusions? It didn't seem to make any impact at all as far as swirls, but it did do a decent job removing some light haze. Initial shine, water repellency, and slickness were okay, but it seemed to wear VERY fast.

All in all, I wouldn't consider it great.. if you have some slightly hazy paint, maybe some water spots that won't wash off.. then it should work to clean that up, but on paint that is otherwise shiny, I would go with something that is a dedicated wax or sealant, like Meg's Gold Class, NXT 2.0, or Ultimate Wax, etc..

It didn't remove some water spotting and the wax itself didn't last more than 3 weeks with the truck parked in the garage at night but 8 hours everyday outside during the workweek. You're better off using a claybar then Meguiars Ultimate.

I've used it for years on my old truck that has single stage paint and I really like it. I put a couple coats on the top section of the truck and one on the rest and it will hold a shine for a good long while. If you're just looking for a normal general purpose wax you won't be disappointed.

It's fine, cleaner wax is a jack of all trades. Cleans fine and shines fine. Cleaner waxes are usually best left for dealer preps because generally they don't offer that great of cleaning or shine. The only cleaner wax I have seen that does a decent job is Meguiars D151 but even that doesn't offer great durability. I used to use it on my quick wax clients when I used to detail. If you are looking for higher quality results I would use a dedicated polish and a wax or sealant

I haven't used a Meguiar's finishing wax I like yet. None of them last very long, and some of them don't even look that good. Now their polishes are a different story (the ones made for correcting paint defects). I really like the 105 and 205. For finishing waxes, Collinite is much better, especially their 845 and 476...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I haven't used a Meguiar's finishing wax I like yet. None of them last very long, and some of them don't even look that good. Now their polishes are a different story (the ones made for correcting paint defects). I really like the 105 and 205. For finishing waxes, Collinite is much better, especially their 845 and 476...

+1, they have some good products like you mention including their Gold Class Shampoo.

This has been my go-to wax since 1987. I use nothing else. Kept my 89 Honda Accord's paint looking beautiful for 23 years.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: grampi

+1, they have some good products like you mention including their Gold Class Shampoo.

I actually prefer Turtle Wax Zip Wax car wash over Meguiar's...

It's been around a long time and is a decent overall product but not my favorite. Cleaner waxes try to do everything but end up doing nothing well. It does work good as a base first step to clean and if you apply a good pure wax or sealant over top then I'd say you can get a pretty decent shine and protection that may last 4 mos. The cleaner wax alone I never got more than 2 months out of it.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Cleaner waxes try to do everything but end up doing nothing well. It does work good as a base first step to clean and if you apply a good pure wax or sealant over top then I'd say you can get a pretty decent shine and protection that may last 4 mos. The cleaner wax alone I never got more than 2 months out of it.

Duragloss #501 is actually a cleaner sealant. It has extra cleaners in it to tackle marine and RVs. So a step up from their automotive polish that has less cleaners in it which is #105. It does its job so well that professionals use it. One of them being on here:

https://www.duragloss.com/Marine-R-V-Products/Marine-RV-Polish/16-oz.-Marine-RV-Polish

Looks like pics have removed, oh well. Here's the thread anyways:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...501#Post3118894

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Cleaner waxes try to do everything but end up doing nothing well. It does work good as a base first step to clean and if you apply a good pure wax or sealant over top then I'd say you can get a pretty decent shine and protection that may last 4 mos. The cleaner wax alone I never got more than 2 months out of it.

Duragloss #501 is actually a cleaner sealant. It has extra cleaners in it to tackle marine and RVs. So a step up from their automotive polish that has less cleaners in it which is #105. It does its job so well that professionals use it. One of them being on here:

https://www.duragloss.com/Marine-R-V-Products/Marine-RV-Polish/16-oz.-Marine-RV-Polish

Looks like pics have removed, oh well. Here's the thread anyways:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...501#Post3118894

You are correct. My statement was perhaps too much of a blanket statement. I use the 501 on my RV.

I personally don't use paste because it's possible to get the dirt you just removed from the car back into the paste, which increases risk of getting those contaminates back into the paint in a different place; cross contamination. Meg's cleaner wax is ok, I used it like 20 years ago. It did ok at cleaning the paint and leaving some protection (all-in-one or AIO), but that's about it. I prefer to use products that are made for a specific use, ie compound, polish, wax/seal, etc. But if the car is in pretty good shape with very few or small surface marks, an AIO may be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back