Help me decide Synthetic HM Penn vs Valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow BITOG,

Have a 1994 Montero 3.5 DOHC, 126,000 miles. It drips a bit from the rear main seal, I'm the original owner. Montero is garage kept. Trying to decide between Valvoline HM Full synthetic vs Pennzoil full synthetic HM. She is on the severe maintenance program. Live in the desert southwest and 4x4 in mountains and sand. Half city/half highway and maybe 5% in true 4x4 mode. Using PUP 5W30 right now with Fram Ultra. Have a snorkel for air filter and use OEM filters.

Unable to find VOA on Pennzoil HM. I recall Rat 540 testing the Valvoline, which was in the top five I believe. Penn HM wasn't tested. I've only had one UOA which had FE at 33 at 5,700 miles. BlkStn recommended 5,000 miles. Doing another UOA in near future.

Going to take this Montero to the grave, not literally. Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Respectfully,

Pajero

I would lean towards the Valvoline as well. They are the de facto leaders in the HM oil sector. That Valvoline FS with MLT is perhaps their best oil.

That was a great year for the Montero. Very comfortable and a good highway cruiser not to mention the 4WD system. If taken care of, that vehicle will run a very long time.

I've had better luck with Valvoline HM syn than the Pennzoil HM syn as far as helping minor seeping, but either will serve you very well and both may, or may not, help with the drip. You just have to run them and find out for that. Given my experience with it, if it were my vehicle, I'd start with the Valvoline first.

I've experience less oil usage and quieter engines using the Valvoline Full Syn w ML vs the PPHM on older, high mileage vehicles. (Both in 5w-30)

Pennzoil is a superior oil. Look up and compare the specs of both. Better add pack,higher tbn,etc.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Pennzoil is a superior oil. Look up and compare the specs of both. Better add pack,higher tbn,etc.

I haven't been able to find a VOA on either. Checked PQIA (even emailed them, no response). Both are new arrivals to the market within last two years. If you can show me the specs, that would be fantastic.

Respectfully,

10w30 M1 HM. I get less oil usage with that and drips. I have run Valvoline HM FS and the PP. I went back the the M1 HM 10w30. It is more robust than either of the other two. Cheap, also, on rebate now.

Originally Posted By: Krieg

I haven't been able to find a VOA on either. Checked PQIA (even emailed them, no response). Both are new arrivals to the market within last two years. If you can show me the specs, that would be fantastic.

Respectfully,

It's on the PQIA site.

I'm going to have to jump in with the mobile one 10W-30 high mileage recommendation. Honestly all three would serve you well but the mobile will give you a nice bump up to a 3.5 HTHS number in that desert heat

I've had some success with Valvoline Maxlife blend (red bottle). I'd run the 10W-40 version in the desert.

I had many years working in the El Centro/Brawley areas in the summer off-road. The oil can take a beating at 120*F with the A/C going full ... I'd reach for as much HTHS as I could, if it were me ...

MaxLife Blend if you're trying to get the leak to stop. Start w 10W-30 and go to 10W-40 if you need to.

Pennzoil is a superior oil.

I'm not qualified to make that judgment, I just know MaxLife Full Synthetic works better for me in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back