Changing Motorcycle Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to change motorcycle tires.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips/suggestions? I am planning to use dynabeads or Air BB's for balancing.

Any other tips for valve stems or tricks for putting a new tire on?

Thank you
smile.gif

This is a must have tool for me along with 3 tire irons and a stand.

EDIT: I see you are tubeless but I will leave the photo anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
Zip tie method. Get a real balance.

Thanks, I have been able to remove one of the old tire without any zip ties.

I don't have any balancer or anything. How do I do it? Use jack stands?

I've personally never replaced a valve stem, with no issues. I also have never used anything to balance the tire, I just align the light spot with the valve stem. I'm mostly commuting in the city though, so I may never notice an imbalance.

I don't have any special equipment, just a set of 3 curved tire irons and a cut apart milk jug as wheel protectors (the curved irons seem to help). Make sure to use plenty of lube, I use diluted dish soap in a spray bottle. If you can, it help to keep the rubber out in the sun to stay warm and flexible. I've broken beads two ways, once in a bench vise, the other with a 2x4 lever contraption attached to an unfinished garage wall. If you haven't already, watch a bunch of youtube videos.

Good luck!

ArcticDriver , is this a rim protector? I was planning to use a rubber hose cut in half for rim protection.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
ArcticDriver , is this a rim protector? I was planning to use a rubber hose cut in half for rim protection.

My bad. I see you are tubeless. I edited my post.

Good luck and don't scratch the rims.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've personally never replaced a valve stem, with no issues. I also have never used anything to balance the tire, I just align the light spot with the valve stem. I'm mostly commuting in the city though, so I may never notice an imbalance.

I don't have any special equipment, just a set of 3 curved tire irons and a cut apart milk jug as wheel protectors (the curved irons seem to help). Make sure to use plenty of lube, I use diluted dish soap in a spray bottle. If you can, it help to keep the rubber out in the sun to stay warm and flexible. I've broken beads two ways, once in a bench vise, the other with a 2x4 lever contraption attached to an unfinished garage wall. If you haven't already, watch a bunch of youtube videos.

Good luck!

Thanks very much. Very helpful. Yes, I have placed the tires in my car. Tomorrow it'll be in 80's and it'll be warm and toasty so they'll be flexible and soft by end of tomorrow.

Are you saying you have never replaced valve stems? I have a HF bead breaker tool and have been able to remove the front. Now just rear is pending in terms of old tires removal.

What do you use for rim protection?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

My bad. I see you are tubeless. I edited my post.

Good luck and don't scratch the rims.
grin.gif

I have been lucky and didn't scratch the rim, but planning to use a rubber hose or a used milk bottle plastic for rim protectors.

I used Old English oil furniture polish, as a lubricant.

I use strips of plastic cut from a milk jug. It's a little but of a hassle to keep aligned and in place, but it has worked for me. It would probably be useful to poke a hole and tie some string on it so you don't have to go fishing in the tire to find it.

Yeah, in the 3 tubeless tires I've replaced tires on, they held air just fine prior to replacement, so I didn't bother replacing the valve stem, I know it's not a hard thing to do, just didn't do it for some reason. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but no issue so far. (Maybe I'll replace them next time I do the tires)

Also, be careful of any sprockets or brake rotors that may be attached to the wheel. A couple pieces of 2x4 under the wheel to elevate the rotor is good.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I use strips of plastic cut from a milk jug. It's a little but of a hassle to keep aligned and in place, but it has worked for me. It would probably be useful to poke a hole and tie some string on it so you don't have to go fishing in the tire to find it.

Yeah, in the 3 tubeless tires I've replaced tires on, they held air just fine prior to replacement, so I didn't bother replacing the valve stem, I know it's not a hard thing to do, just didn't do it for some reason. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but no issue so far. (Maybe I'll replace them next time I do the tires)

Also, be careful of any sprockets or brake rotors that may be attached to the wheel. A couple pieces of 2x4 under the wheel to elevate the rotor is good.

Thanks, I used a big empty cardboard box and some rags - placed rotor on it so it was not touching or rubbing with anything. Planning to do similar for the rear side.

Good idea for poking a hole inside those milk crate chunks. I'll cut some rubber hose too.

Also, my existing wheels have balancing weight on it. Should I remove all of them completely?

Pretty easy to bend a rotor if you leave them on the wheel while you are levering tires off and on rims.

I usually use a 5 gallon bucket for a stand. The rotor goes in the bucket to keep it from getting damaged.

If it's tubeless, this is really a pretty easy job. Two tricks --

1) If you can't find commercial tire lube, use diluted Murphy's Oil Soap. It works great. This is fairly important. Murphy's Oil Soap is recommended by major tire manufacturers as being chemically compatible, that is, it won't hurt the rubber on your tires.

Some number of people are sure to point out that they have used dish soap, mechanic's hand cleaner, KY Jelly, spit, and everything else in the world that is slippery and it has never hurt their tire. They think. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I've been working on bikes over 40 years, have run service departments in motorcycle shops, and changed more tires than I can count. On today's high performance bikes it's good to take the extra measure of care.

2) If you fit the tire bead into the well of the rim, lube everything up carefully, keep both beads in the well as you work the last bead over the far side, this is not difficult. I have removed [censored] bike tires with no tire irons at all and fitted tires back on to the rim with one iron and no damage to the rim. It's just care, practice, and repetition. Keeping the bead in the well on most tires gives you plenty to work with except for Harley Davidson style bead retention rims.

One more tip -- clean the inside of the rim where the tire seats very gently, carefully, and thoroughly. Lube it well, be careful inflating to set the bead. Don't over-inflate, if it doesn't set at 45 pounds or less, something is wrong, don't force it. If you have trouble getting the tire to "grab" when you are trying to inflate it, wrap a ratchet-type motorcycle tie down around the circumference of the tire, snug it up just enough to force the bead out to the rim, get it started with just a few pounds of air, take the strap off, and finish inflating.

Don't let anyone talk you into using ether.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CCI

1) If you can't find commercial tire lube, use diluted Murphy's Oil Soap. It works great. This is fairly important. Murphy's Oil Soap is recommended by major tire manufacturers as being chemically compatible, that is, it won't hurt the rubber on your tires.

Some number of people are sure to point out that they have used dish soap, mechanic's hand cleaner, KY Jelly, spit, and everything else in the world that is slippery and it has never hurt their tire. They think. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I've been working on bikes over 40 years, have run service departments in motorcycle shops, and changed more tires than I can count. On today's high performance bikes it's good to take the extra measure of care.

2) If you fit the tire bead into the well of the rim, lube everything up carefully, keep both beads in the well as you work the last bead over the far side, this is not difficult. I have removed [censored] bike tires with no tire irons at all and fitted tires back on to the rim with one iron and no damage to the rim. It's just care, practice, and repetition. Keeping the bead in the well on most tires gives you plenty to work with except for Harley Davidson style bead retention rims.

One more tip -- clean the inside of the rim where the tire seats very gently, carefully, and thoroughly. Lube it well, be careful inflating to set the bead. Don't over-inflate, if it doesn't set at 45 pounds or less, something is wrong, don't force it. If you have trouble getting the tire to "grab" when you are trying to inflate it, wrap a ratchet-type motorcycle tie down around the circumference of the tire, snug it up just enough to force the bead out to the rim, get it started with just a few pounds of air, take the strap off, and finish inflating.

grin.gif

Yup all good advice here.

Proper tire installation and balance is an important safety feature and seems to me trying to first time it based only on reading the internet is asking for problems. This is something you need to see done hands-on in the company of a professional like CCI where you can then try it and receive in-person guidance on how to do it. Not saying it's not a DIY thing but that you should approach it as a first time DIY'er differently than mere reading, video watching, and solo attempt. Once you been walked through it live and in-person with a pro, then the DIY process may be safer and less likely to damage rims or worse.

I know who I want changing tires on my new bike. And it's not me.

Originally Posted By: CCI

grin.gif

Thanks very much CCI, I appreciate all of your valuable input. Yes, it's a tubeless tire and for a sportbike.

Few questions, can I use furniture polish since don't have Murphy's oil soap handy? I have read that many people have used it as a tire lubricant
smile.gif

Also, should a valve stem be replaced? Current valve stem has no cracks and looks to be in excellent condition.

Thanks

I used Dawn liquid when I was changing my tires. Nowadays I buy tires off the internet, remove wheels and tires from motorcycle, take wheels and tires to a dealer/shop, pay dealer/shop to mount and balance tires, drive home and mount wheels with new tires. I'm old, can't wrestle tire spoons like I used to, and haven't grown a third hand yet, so this works for me.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I have removed valve stem for front too, it was Tr412 type. At least one less thing to worry about later.

My opinion: If you plan to use that R1 to anywhere near it's capability, I'd have a professional like member 'CCI' perform the installation and balance for you.

If you still want to do this yourself eventually, I'd buy the proper tools for changing the tire and a balancer and weights, and then practice on an old wheel and tire.

FWIW, I have the tools and experience to do this myself. But I buy my tires from friends at a local brick and mortar store, and have their skilled Mechanic do the mount and balance.

On those balance beads: They work best (still not great) in slow speed applications. I've tried them in high speed applications, and they simply don't work as well as a good balance job with weights as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back