What to do about small countershaft seal leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I own a 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R that developed a small oil leak that seems to be coming from the countershaft seal behind the front sprocket. I think it was caused by the KTM dealer over-tightening the chain at my first service. This is my first chained bike and my fundamental mistake was to assume that the dealer knew what he was doing. So anyway, after discovering the leak, I have loosened up the chain which seems to have helped a bit. But the leak is still there intermittently and it is no more than a few drops when it shows up. I am confident what I am seeing is not the chain lube. I have no intention of going back to this dealer and I am also hesitant to go thru the trouble of replacing the seal at this time since the leak does not appear to be too serious. I am running Motorex 10W-50 oil in the motor by the way and the oil level is below the max line. Is it even worth trying a different viscosity/brand oil to see if that helps with the issue? What would you do?

investigate if the seal is serviceable externally..if so then a change in the offseason would be a good idea. otherwise i would ignore if it isnt making a mess on the bike or ground.
some bikes the seal is the outer seal of the actual countershaft bearing...where a new bearing is needed to fix the leak.

Thanks, I already did some previous investigation about this seal. Fortunately, on this bike model the seal is separate from the bearing and can be serviced externally.

I doubt it was from over tightening the chain. The big beefy countershaft bearing just can't flex that much, plus the rubber seal lips have some flex. Probably damaged during manufacturing assembly - seen it happen a few times. It takes some miles for the seal to start leaking if there's a burr or some damage to the inner collar or the seal lip.

Personally, I'd fix it or have it fixed. It would be a bad day if the minor leak were to become a major leak at an inopportune time, like leaned over in a fast sweeper..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back