iPhone X and other Apple Camaraderie

Status
Not open for further replies.
iPhone X:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/

It's all screen! Nice idea, a little late to the game but better late than never.

Super retina display. A little brighter, a little sharper. Same every year. To be fair, the display on the latest MacBook Pro is way better than the previous generation, and this iPhone will most likely be no exception.

Face ID, better cameras, etc. - My 2007 Lenovo laptop had face id.

Portrait lighting - mimics high end photography with light hoods. Actually a cool and potentially useful feature, curious to test this one out. iPhone has always had incredible cameras, both for video and still photography.

A11 processor - a beast, but I imagine this will be pretty slow in 2-3 years after some software updates.

Wireless charging - Very cool. If batteries aren't going to last all day after a year or two, then they might as well make charging easier.

Starting at $ 1000, not available until 11/3. I WANT IT NOW!

Charging 300-400 more than a Galaxy for literally the same features at a later date. Apple is really testing the waters here to see how much its customer base is willing to eat it up. The phone is ugly too.

My 6 yr old LG flip Trac phone sends and receives calls just fine, and will even text, though I rarely text at all. Paid $15.00 for it at a Shopko , gets triple minutes and I use less than 200minutes a year. Granted it is not a "Smart phone" and does not come with all the fancy camera and games and it does not have any apps, it is probably much more durable than these fancy I phones.

I have dropped it many times, just last week I was cleaning a clogged gutter and it fell on the concrete from about 15 ft, battery went one way phone went the other. a small chip in one corner but still works good as new. It has been submerged in water a few times as well and no signs of wear. Sure a few people say I should join the 21st century in terms of a phone , but it works fine and I have been to many areas where my LG trac phone got a strong signal and the expensive I phones and Samsungs S7s could not.

I suppose I could drop a grand on a fancy Apple phone to help keep CEO Tim Cook and the Apple big dogs in the 100 million dollar plus club, but I will pass.

Not knocking Apple as it is no doubt a fine phone, but throwing a $1,000.00 on a phone would seriously cut into my beer budget

But for those who have lots of disposable income, dropping 1K on an Apple I phone is as good of way as any to dispose of it.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Now is the time to buy a new iPhone 6s...they are less than $450.

I find my 5s fine, just hope its supported for a while yet...

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Not knocking Apple as it is no doubt a fine phone, but throwing a $1,000.00 on a phone would seriously cut into my beer budget

But for those who have lots of disposable income, dropping 1K on an Apple I phone is as good of way as any to dispose of it.

It comes down to priorities. My LG Smart Phone makes calls, allows me to clock in at work, do texts, and a few other things that are useful for a lot less than an Iphone.

I doubt many of the people that get the new Iphone have a lot of disposable income. It will be on monthly payments, hopefully with insurance. But, unlike me, they will be cool.
cool.gif

The iPhone 8 is completely underwhelming. Hardly any more features than the 7, yawn!

The iPhone X sounds awesome, I definitely wouldn't mind owning one. It accepts wireless charging but doesn't come with a wireless charger. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

I'm happy with my iPhone 7+, I ordered it on release date last year and it's been a great phone. I wouldn't touch an Android phone with a 10 foot pole, but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Interesting, but need to tighten the definitions used for profit and employees. Vastly different types of firms.

Last edited:
With the discontinuation of updates for 32-bit devices it could force some people to upgrade.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Apple's employees are straight up GSCO money machines for the company, apparently.

Originally Posted By: lawrencerd
Charging 300-400 more than a Galaxy for literally the same features at a later date. Apple is really testing the waters here to see how much its customer base is willing to eat it up. The phone is ugly too.

Galaxy Note 8 is also $999 so that point is kind of moot. The GS8 is about the same price as the iPhone 8 as well....

That being said I was as much an Apple geek as they come - been with them since 2001. This year I bought an HP 2-in-1 and a ZTE Axon 7 as I didn't like the new Apple stuff. Windows 10 is actually pretty good and saved me almost $1k over the 15 Macbook I was eyeing up. The ZTE has some rough edges but at $399 has been a solid phone with a great display and great performance and updates.

I don't miss my Apple gear much at all....

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

A11 processor - a beast, but I imagine this will be pretty slow in 2-3 years after some software updates.

Yeah, my iPhone 6+ was a 'beast' too until government spying agencies found a way to slow it down too. Now its inconsistent but sometimes pretty slow.

Nope. $1000 for a smart phone is absurd. I don't care if the prices have adjusted over time. Not doing it.

And frankly unless you are spending a solid 6-8 hours a day on your phone, it isn't worth the cash.

I have a $50 iPhone 5S that is just as smooth and capable as anything and does it all.

Apple did a great job on building a jewel/halo product for consumers to desire. $1000 is a great price point as it will sell fine.

They still offer the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 and no 8 which are quite decent at appropriate pricing points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back