Trying to buy brake and rotors for RX350 at Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I am trying to buy a set of front brake pads and rotor at Toyota dealership( figure it would save a little?). But i only have the Lexus parts number for the 09 RX350. Does Lexus and Toyota use a different parts naming convention or they are the same? Much thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Same part numbers for Lexus/Toyota & Scion

Isn't that strange yet the Scion is the one that seems to be having most of the quality issues?

They use the same part numbers for shared parts, but if it is a part that only fits the Lexus, the Toyota dealers can't order them. If the Lexus pads and rotors fit some equivalent Toyota model, Toyota dealer can order.
Same way with Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura and Audi/VW.

Quality aftermarket parts like Centric will be far cheaper for the same quality. Just did the matrix with centric coated rotors and centric posi quiet ceramic pads. Excellent quality and perfect fit. Brakes are smooth as silk. All in cost $80 shipped from rock auto for everything to do the fronts.

Thank you all for the inputs! Online Lexus OEM cost about $260 for front pads and rotors. Aftermarket cost about half of OEM. I try to see how much Toyota is selling first thinking it may cost a little less than Lexus. Dealership service quoted $350 for pads and "reconditioned/machines" rotors. About $160 will be tagged on for each rotor if to have them replace it. So labor cost about $500 for a front brake job. Does it really take long for a front brake job? I would imagine an experienced tech finish it around 50 mins.

Rock Auto has good quality aftermarket pads and rotors like Akebono ProACT, Wagner OEX, and Advics.

The Beck/Arnley 089-1805 is the actual OE front pads, for just over $30

As for the rotors, Rock Auto offers US-made Advics rotors, but they are expensive! The good news is that the Wagner E-shield and Centric Premium are also very good rotors and cost a lot less
smile.gif

The US-made Advics rotors and any of the pads I suggested will total about $200 (don't forget the promo code!)

It is probably a good idea to flush the brake fluid too. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

Thanks! Wow all of a sudden there are too much to choose. I was uncertain about aftermarket parts for Toyota/Lexus but looks like you guys had great experiences with the brands mention in this thread.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Rock Auto has good quality aftermarket pads and rotors like Akebono ProACT, Wagner OEX, and Advics.

The Beck/Arnley 089-1805 is the actual OE front pads, for just over $30

As for the rotors, Rock Auto offers US-made Advics rotors, but they are expensive! The good news is that the Wagner E-shield and Centric Premium are also very good rotors and cost a lot less
smile.gif

The US-made Advics rotors and any of the pads I suggested will total about $200 (don't forget the promo code!)

It is probably a good idea to flush the brake fluid too. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

I better check these brands out first! Thank you so much for all the tips and detail infos! Much appreciated.

I would do a brake flush as well so you don't have one of the calipers freeze up. Valvoline brake fluid from Napa is fine. Had a sticky rear caliper on the 2012 Camry recently that had the original brake fluid in it.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I could do it in my driveway on jackstands for you with manual tools in 30 minutes. 500 for labor is ridiculous.

LoL, I wish you are my neighbor!

Aftermarket rotors and pads can be less expensive and high quality. No need to go OEM there. I agree with the suggestions above. My avalon has centrics and powerstop pads and they are solid.

I have purchased non-OEM rotors before. Did not last. I have purchased non-OEM pads. Noisy and dusty.

I only buy OEM brake parts except for the little rubber caps on the bleeder valves. Just get the part number and go online. What I have done is establish a relationship with the Lexus Parts Mgr and he gives me about a 25% discount. He will even get me Toyota Parts shipped from the Toyota dealer to him where I pay him less than if I purchased them straight from the same dealer. Go Figure...

I'm not saying you haven't been given good advice. I just stick with OEM on all brake parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
I have purchased non-OEM rotors before. Did not last. I have purchased non-OEM pads. Noisy and dusty.

Which ones did you buy? That would be helpful to know. Otherwise that's a huge blanket statement. Lexus/Toyota does not make their own brake parts, another company makes them to their specs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back