Dented FRAM Ultras--What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run them or toss them? They are free (replaced with new ones at no cost). I am not going to run them--just wanted to see the general consensus.

EwDMb5.jpg

VpaIp2.jpg

QVNPz5.jpg

How about a third option-cut them open? I wouldn't run them with those dents, I'd be afraid of cracking at the corner of the dents.

Last edited:
eBay? I had two dented filters from a dealer who sold them by the 6 pack or case on eBay. I got two replacements w/o issue. Mine weren't quite as bad as yours. I'd use them on a beater, not something I treasure.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
eBay? I had two dented filters from a dealer who sold them by the 6 pack or case on eBay. I got two replacements w/o issue. Mine weren't quite as bad as yours. I'd use them on a beater, not something I treasure.
Yep; packed them in a bubble wrap envelope (six filters). He replaced them ASAP, but I told him he is losing money by using cheesy packing.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Yeah, I ran a ultra on my Bonneville that had done end dent.

The way these two look; I wouldn't run them

run them. There is a gap between the media and the external can. Its not a sharp dent so I doubt there would be anything structuarrly wrong with it.

Well, you could just buy these filters locally for literally a few cents more.
fleabay product is always caveat emptor.
These dents don't look sharp edged enough to be a problem, though.

I would not use them, any dent can compromise the integrity of the can.
It is a weak spot on a part that you don't want a weak spot in.
It is not a matter of it interfering with flow or causing media failure.
I remember reading an article specifically about dented filters, and it was not good if it was even a small dent.

Yeah the pressure rating of the can is based on it being a circle. A dent creates a stress riser and can lead to failure.

I dropped a Ultra not to long ago while I was getting ready for a change. I was more than a little upset but I did end up getting another one.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, you could just buy these filters locally for literally a few cents more. fleabay product is always caveat emptor.
Not exactly. 6 filters for $29.94 is $4.99 each to the door. Locally those filters are between $9 and $10 each. I only buy from reputable sellers so the risk is low, as I said the seller replaced these immediately.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah the pressure rating of the can is based on it being a circle. A dent creates a stress riser and can lead to failure.

I dropped a Ultra not to long ago while I was getting ready for a change. I was more than a little upset but I did end up getting another one.

They are mild steel cans, and under pressure from the inside, so either nothing will happen with the dent, or the dent will be popped out by oil pressure and then nothing will happen.
I would still use them, but just to be safe I'd inspect the filter after giving the engine a decent rev with cold oil to send the filter into bypass mode.
If the filter can was under vacuum or pressure from the outside, then sure a dent would be a big deal.

Too big of dents to run.

I'd consider running them in my Camry, but for the past 7 months the only adventures it gets is a 30 foot drive into the driveway every 2 months for the battery to be charged. Changing the oil on it would be silly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, you could just buy these filters locally for literally a few cents more.
fleabay product is always caveat emptor.
These dents don't look sharp edged enough to be a problem, though.

They're pretty hard to find local for the price I paid for them, they were dollars more. The seller was very quick to make good on them, I'd buy from him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back