A rant on why I always use OEM replacement parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an intermediate steering shaft on Amazon for my Cobalt SS some time ago. This unit eventually ended up being recalled, and Amazon sent me a replacement part.

Last night, I installed the replacement part. This thing is absolute garbage. It rattles way worse than any worn out steering shaft I've ever heard. Dorman made this, as well as the last unit I had on there. Previous two were AC Delco dealer parts, so I know the rattling sound all too well.

I've also bought Dorman lugnuts at AAP in a pinch. My car uses those chrome-plated lugs. Every one of the Dorman replacement lugs I've installed has had the chrome cap fall off. Every. Single. One.

Now I know some OEM parts suck too, and some aftermarket upgrades like MOOG bushings can be worth it over OEM, but I gotta tell you. After now having to go back and re-do this repair, I am not thrilled.

The problem with aftermarket parts is that most manufactures are in a race to the bottom. Lots of garbage to choose from. I helped a good friend work on his older Focus and he always buys the cheapest parts from Rock Auto that are made in Asia. Pure junk. Like the after market motor mount that lasted a couple of months, junk no-name ready struts, junk sway bar end links. It's like tires. There are good Chinese tires and junk out of round ones sold cheap on ebay.

I'm right there with you. More and more, I find myself choosing OEM parts. Of course, you'll find an occasional dud there too. Whenever I have to replace a part, I factor in my comfort level with the price, and whether I really want to do that job again anytime soon. If there's a huge price difference and the part is easy to replace, I'll probably do aftermarket. In my younger days, I would only get what was cheapest because that was all I could afford. Now that I'm more financially stable, I can pay more comfortably for that peace of mind without choosing which kid gets to eat that night.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The problem with aftermarket parts is that most manufactures are in a race to the bottom. Lots of garbage to choose from. I helped a good friend work on his older Focus and he always buys the cheapest parts from Rock Auto that are made in Asia. Pure junk. Like the after market motor mount that lasted a couple of months, junk no-name ready struts, junk sway bar end links. It's like tires. There are good Chinese tires and junk out of round ones sold cheap on ebay.

You can actually find many new OEM parts on ebay, usually cheaper than anywhere else.

Some are made really well, some are junk, applies to OEM and aftermarket.

I went through the lugnut thing on my Mustang. I didn't want to deal with the 2 piece ones down the line so I got a set from Dorman. It took me ordering 80 from my supplier to find 16 that my SnapOn 13/16" socket would fit in. Then as I was tightening them for the first time 3 broke. I ended up getting McGard and they have worked flawless.

American Components, Japanese components, German components, ALL MADE IN Taiwan!!!!
https://youtu.be/dEkOT3IngMQ

I don't think it much matters where you get the part from, it's just a matter of luck.. some are good, most are not. period.
I'd say gone are the days of integrity.

I am surprised that no one has yet said the obvious - Don't use Dorman anything for anything. But your general point is valid - With the exception of some long time suppliers that have maintained their quality levels, it is harder and harder to find non-OEM parts that are worth the labor it takes to install them. And even many of the long time aftermarket suppliers are no longer what their old reputation would suggest.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I am surprised that no one has yet said the obvious - Don't use Dorman anything for anything.

Bingo. I learned this from watching Eric O's videos.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

You can actually find many new OEM parts on ebay, usually cheaper than anywhere else.

I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer a long time ago before working my way to UPS.
I guarantee you some of those parts are being sold by mechanics working in new car dealers. I'm not going to explain how it's done. All I can say is that I never did it.

We had the combination cruse control / turn signal control replaced under warranty in our 2001 Impala at the dealer with dealer parts. It has now again gone bad.

For the most part, I agree with the OP.

I needed a simple tail-pipe bracket for my exhaust system.
It's only a piece of rubber that you bolt on.

I bought what they had at A.A.P. and it was junk.
I had to do to much modifying.

I then paid the price and bought OEM.
OEM had a piece of sheet metal inside the rubber (for rigidity)
It was designed and built 10 times better.

If I buy after-market, I look for Meet OEM Specs.
Maybe that means something, maybe not.

Like another poster said, if you know the Pt. No.
Look On E-Bay / don't have to pay dealer prices.

I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer a long time ago before working my way to UPS.
I guarantee you some of those parts are being sold by mechanics working in new car dealers. I'm not going to explain how it's done. All I can say is that I never did it.

I know exactly what you mean. Just went on a scavenger hunt through the shop and found a new in box radiator that was billed on a warranty RO and Ford already paid the claim..

I always use OE power steering pumps. I've yet to see one that doesn't take a dump when the temperature gets hot. Pressure and flow is bad at idle, need to rev to get any steering assist

Not too much a fan of moog ball joints. Too stiff and I've had issues where they're stiff to the point it affects return to center and your ability to make small adjustments at freeway speed. They last a long time but at what cost?

I haven't had much issue with doorman in the few times I've used them for minor interior stuff.

I like fel-pro and lube-locker gaskets. I hate paper gaskets of pretty much any kind. Get me some nice rubber & steel ones

I think the OEM vs Aftermarket comes down to alot of factors. Age & value of the vehicle and the component being replaced. Sensors , engine management its almost always better to go OEM. Brakes , suspension components can be aftermarket as long as its a quality brand and part. Belts , hoses and timing belts go quality aftermarket but stick to OE for thermostats and waterpumps. There are always special cases why OEM would almost be mandatory or where the Aftermarket can actually be much better. Too many variables to make a blanket statement of which is better.

I've always purchased OEM parts for my Montero. I pay 3x vs the others, but reliability and peace of mind are good enough for me. Capitalism is destroying technology. It's not about quality. It's quantity at the cheapest prices. At least the Japanese and Germans take pride in their engineering. I love US steel, but it's not for sale in the southwest part of U.S.A.

OEM all the way for my Hyundai. OEM parts are way too cheap to try anything else. Had some no name chinese struts installed and they started leaking less than a year. For $75 I bought both of front struts on ebay and both are OEM Hyundai new old stock. Much firmer and the steering wheel finally returns to center.

Last edited:
OP,

I am right there with you.

I always use parts from the dealer.

I have minimum problems when I do whether its VW/AUDI, Honda, Toyota, Ford, BMW...always from an authorized dealer mostly online orders.
On rare occasions I will order from Ebay but very seldom.
I have found reputable sellers on Amazon.

Only exception is I do buy Bilstein shocks.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back