keys missing on 2001 Camry. locksmith? dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
somehow one of my kids lost 2 sets of keys to the toyota. can a dealer cut one from the VIN? (no, I dont have the key code that came with the car; we are not the original owner)

locksmith make a key?

replace all the cylinders myself?

Call your dealers parts department and find out. Any competent locksmith can make a key. The dealer should be cheaper if they can research the VIN # and help you out.
Hopefully the parts guy doesn't say NO simply because he is lazy or arrogant. (I should look in a mirror right now)

I would think Toyota could cut a key off the VIN. They might need photo ID and proof of ownership, Ford requires it. Now with Ford we can only get a key cut code currently for 2008 and newer vehicles.

Contact a dealer, preferably the one you bought it from (if possible).

The Chevy dealer that I bought my 2004 Silverado from, cut me a key from the VIN number for $15.

They just pulled up the bill of sale on their system, and compared it to the info on my driver's license. Yep, it is his.

Was it a smart key with a transponder chip in it. If it was, not a good day. My little Ford transit is not smart but has a lazer cut triangle that is very expensive but the Scion is very cheap.

My 02 camry has a dumb key. It even lets me roll-start it.
laugh.gif

A locksmith may also be able to help if the dealer is $$$.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Was it a smart key with a transponder chip in it. If it was, not a good day. My little Ford transit is not smart but has a lazer cut triangle that is very expensive but the Scion is very cheap.
No chips in the old Camry keys fortunately.

No chip and you're golden.

Friends of ours lost the last key to their 2000-01 Mitsubishi Montero sport a year or so ago. It cost them around $300 to get back on the road from a mobile lock smith outfit for a pair of new key fobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back