Power Steering Pump & Rebuild Kit Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my Power Steering Pump in the GX470 (V8 4runner).

A new OEM is about $230 while rebuilt is about $150ish or so. Trying to avoid Cardone as they are $100. Car-Part/Ebay has used OEM for as low as $55ish.

Was thinking of getting the junkyard $55 and get a rebuild kit for the one I take out. The one I take it is more just to see what it's like to rebuild and to have a spare just in case.

My reason for the junkyard way is it's the cheapest option and still trust a used OEM more than a 'new' rebuild after hearing the state of rebuilds lately.

Thoughts?

Most bone yards give a 30 day warranty and if the pump lasts that long its probably going to last a lot longer with a couple oil changes. So many neglect changing fluids.

I rather throw in a low mileage junkyard pump/rebuild original pump or go with brand new OEM.

What's the mileage on the original pump? Mine is still going at 165,000mi with regular DexVI fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I rather throw in a low mileage junkyard pump/rebuild original pump or go with brand new OEM.

What's the mileage on the original pump? Mine is still going at 165,000mi with regular DexVI fluid changes.

+1. Just go for the junkyard pump. Rebuilt one failed on my Sienna and I went with another junk yard one after that.

Personally aftermarket rebuilt power steering pumps have been nothing but problems for me. The only luck I have is when I use OEM new or OEM remanufactured power steering pumps.

Junkyard power steering pumps are a [censored]. If it's easy to get to in your engine compartment and not hard to change with a deep discount compared to the dealer, I'd give one a shot.

I would go straight to RockAuto and see what they had. They got better parts than what you can get locally for about half the price.

I have a Cardone reman'd pump that's been working fine for 2 yrs *knock on wood.* A lot of people have had bad luck with them, though.

You should just go with a brand new or good condition used one. Don't want to do the job twice, especially if your pump is hard to access.

What is your pump doing? Just grumbling (bearing), or leaking, or...?

I rebuilt the one in our Lexus sedan 2 years ago, and the one in my SUV last month. It's easy and about $20 + a quart of fresh fluid. Then you know it's done correctly. I am not above using junkyard parts when necessary, but this isn't an efficient situation for that. The trickiest this repair gets is if the pulley is pressed on and you need to use a 3-jaw puller to remove it - and those can be borrowed for free from the LAS. $12 for a seal kit, $10 for a bearing, a Saturday afternoon, and you're done.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I would go straight to RockAuto and see what they had. They got better parts than what you can get locally for about half the price.

I almost always find that to be true.

Lexus sells a rebuild kit for the pumps a few bolts & everything comes apart easily. It's not hard replacing the seals on those. The bearing will be fine more than likely. If you need to change the bearing, it's held on with a snapring & a deep socket will fit over the shaft to tap the bearing off.

I don't buy reman unless its OE from the dealer but most of the time I buy new if its available. I got so sick of changing bad PS pumps and wasting my time I find it to be the best and in the long run the cheapest option.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Need to research the bearing replacement as I am getting intermittent groaning that is the issue. With the pulley, it is splined and no pulled is needed per a few forum threads. Also, to remove the pump is disconnect the hoses, 2 bolts and 1 nut/stud and that is all. Not too bad there either.

Will keep everyone posted.

Just something to bear in mind....there is no cheap way to rebuild a power steering pump (and add modern AC compressors and CV joints to that as well).

Sometimes you luck out and catch a bad bearing early, and salvage a pump before the rotating components grind up the rotor vane/roller housing. Usually you don't. There is no cheap way to resurface and replate the rotor housing so most places attempt to polish the housing, and throw new vanes/rollers in the old rotor, and call it a day. If cost is primary, and labor is free, go rebuilt and budget your free time to do the job again. Don't get me started on power steering racks...........

Stay far away from parts store pumps. Will be a never ending headache you will wish you just went to the dealer. I replaced 3 Oreilly's power steering pumps on my BMW, 2 on my Toyota truck. The BMW I finally just got a refund and put an OEM pump. The Toyota I sold and was starting to moan and groan again. They will either leak or just be so noisy it's embarrassing. Horrible and I will never again put a parts store Reman/rebuilt pump on my personal vehicles again. Don't buy into the "you didn't flush or have air in the system...." they are just junk. I put an OEM pump on my BMW and F-150. No noise, no leaks no nothing. Just work with no 100 step flush, purge, refill, reflush, vacuum, check barometer.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher
Just something to bear in mind....there is no cheap way to rebuild a power steering pump (and add modern AC compressors and CV joints to that as well).

Sometimes you luck out and catch a bad bearing early, and salvage a pump before the rotating components grind up the rotor vane/roller housing. Usually you don't. There is no cheap way to resurface and replate the rotor housing so most places attempt to polish the housing, and throw new vanes/rollers in the old rotor, and call it a day. If cost is primary, and labor is free, go rebuilt and budget your free time to do the job again. Don't get me started on power steering racks...........

This is exactly what I was looking for. Will be going new OEM.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back