Lower ball joint 09 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever done a lower ball joint on a 09 CRV?

I have a creak when I turn right at low speed (like into a parking spot).

It looks like an involved job - but all I can find is videos for older models.

I have aftermarket ball joints in my 03 CRV. I had a creaking noise in one of my ball joints at low speed and decided to grease them. I bought a Harbor Freight ball joint tool for $20.00 to pop off the ball joint, I used a needle fitting on my grease gun and greased the ball joint by fitting the needle fitting between the ball joint stud and rubber boot. After greasing the ball joint, the noise is gone and I'm a happy camper.

It looks like that generation CR-V utilizes bolt in ball joints - no need to press in/out. So, in order to replace them, you'll need enough access to remove the fasteners and then remove the ball joint itself. I don't know how much work that entails on that particular model, but it shouldn't be too bad a job, honestly.

MO_K500103_Ang__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Is this something I can figure out with a Haynes or Chilton manual?

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Thanks! Is this something I can figure out with a Haynes or Chilton manual?

Oh yes. This is a very generic repair and you can find instructions online, and much better than those mediocre manuals.

But before you launch into it, jack up the front end and test the wheel to diagnose it properly, and check the condition of the tie rod ends and bearings, as well as 1/2 shaft. I would also suspect, based on your description, there's an even chance it's not a ball joint. This can be done very simply by jacking it and supporting it, then manipulating the wheel and components. Check each side. Lots of how-to videos and diy pages out there.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
It looks like that generation CR-V utilizes bolt in ball joints - no need to press in/out. So, in order to replace them, you'll need enough access to remove the fasteners and then remove the ball joint itself. I don't know how much work that entails on that particular model, but it shouldn't be too bad a job, honestly.

MO_K500103_Ang__ra_p.jpg

Sounds like the ball joints on my 97 civic. Needed to remove the knuckle to remove the ball joint and press a new one in. Eric the car guy had a video on it.

Originally Posted By: JC1

MO_K500103_Ang__ra_p.jpg

Sounds like the ball joints on my 97 civic. Needed to remove the knuckle to remove the ball joint and press a new one in. Eric the car guy had a video on it.

No...bolt in vs press in. ^^^

It's a straight forward job. Just mind spring tension from bushings and whatnot

Also: Don't buy moog

cpayne5 said:

MO_K500103_Ang__ra_p.jpg

No...bolt in vs press in. ^^^ [/quote

Thanks. My 98 Sienna was like that.

Jack both front wheels up or the sway bar will fight ya.

I find the hardest part to be removing little rusted bits of cotter pin from the castle nut. After that's out, finally, a few whacks with the pickle fork, zaps with the impact gun, and she's out!

If the cotter pin gives you too much grief you can just mow it over unscrewing the nut anyway.
thumbsup2.gif

MO_K500103_Ang__ra_p.jpg

At least he doesn't weld those in...

Never gonna let him live that down
grin.gif

Awesome. Thanks guys.

I am definitely going to see if I can find the source of the noise before I tear into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back