Honda EM7000is running since Sunday (IRMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...now at 73 hours on the LCD/LED display

Powering 3 heatpumps, 3 refrigerators, keeping house cool at 74 F, running mostly at 2720 rpm and 1500 VA

The only item turned off was water heater, everything else is powered on

Will likely do an oil change by Thursday

Hopefully all 6 compressors don't kick on at once...
whistle.gif

Very nice, how much gas a day do you use?
I run 1 fridge and a chest freezer on my yamaha EF3000ise plus the TV, sat receiver, internet. You have be careful stepping the fridge and freezer in separately, but after that I run it on eco mode and it has no trouble kicking in a freezer while running the rest of the stuff.

Last edited:
Costco has been supplying gas, stocked up before IRMA

Generator uses about 4 gallons every 6 hours.

All motors are DC, inclusive of pool pump, fridges, heat pumps and the Generator itself, so no issue with all running as max power would never exceed 4kw, the Mitsus run full throttle using just 900 watts and can cool a room to 68 F in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: henni
Costco has been supplying gas, stocked up before IRMA

All motors are DC, inclusive of pool pump, fridges, heat pumps and the Generator itself, so no issue with all running as max power would never exceed 4kw, the Mitsus run full throttle using just 900 watts and can cool a room to 68 F in 15 minutes.

Dude, I am super impressed with your mad electrical skillz.
cool.gif

If all motors are DC, how are you getting the power back from AC? Just curious...

Now I know why I will never buy a generator more powerfull than 2000/2500W

That is awesome.....do you have this hooked up to your circuit breaker with a transfer switch or how are you running it all?

Honda inverts DC to 240 volt AC power, all motors are wired at 240 volt to utility connection.

Manual transfer switch on service box outside flips power on/off between utility and generator.

A single 30 amp breaker is all that is needed on the main service line to turn this on/off

Honda recommends 10W30 but I use whatever is on hand and had used last oil change Mobil 0W40

Last edited:
How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking to have that transfer switch installed to your house?

For the DIY minded, a simple solution is a small metal lock device, attached to main breaker box lid. It prevents turning on the 30 amp breaker that feeds a line to a NEMA plug sitting under the main breaker box. Cost two dollars at Home Depot. This allows EITHER the main service breaker to be ON or it allows the generator breaker to be ON but NOT both.

There is no oil consumption evident, likely due to the low hours in use (still under 100 hours as of today)

Good job on hooking up the EU7000 generator! I want one of those, badly. Very pleasant to be around. Although, I am not at all sure they are any more fuel efficient under a working load.

It's good to be prepared. I've too have been running off grid 24/7 here in Jupiter, FL. I have a 11HP Subaru generator with thousands of hours on it. And my trusty lister.

To power my sensitive stuff, like the microwave and my gas oven (strangely, the gas oven will not tolerate less than clean power) I have a Honda EU2000.

The Subaru runs on a diet of 100LL Avgas and Mobil 1, 15W-50. If I am home mid day today, and running the Subaru, I'll take an oil temp reading.

The lister diesel uses a fraction of the fuel of a gasoline powered unit. About 8 gal/day, instead of 18 or so. However, it's a tinkerers toy, and needs attention on a fairly regular basis.

finished_resized.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cujet
.. am not at all sure they are any more fuel efficient under a working load.

Here's the Scoop on fuel efficiency:

It is true that running WOT at 3600 rpm will not bring you any gains or savings. The key is to allow the ECO switch control the engine rpm and since it runs DC power inverted to AC, the engine can run as slow as 2300-2400 rpm when load is few hundred watts, sort of in a stand-by mode but able to instantly respond to a jump in demand.

Overnight, we drop one area inside to 72 F and as outside cools to 76-77, it still only runs at 2700-2800 rpm and is very quiet, can barely hear it through wall or windows. Can easily have a conversation standing right next to it.

EDIT: Have now calculated my actual fuel use since Sunday. For the 1st 32 hours, I used 15 gallons but from Monday around mid-day, I am now using 10 gallons / 24 hours.

Last edited:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=394221&highlight=generator+efficiency

Take a look at the above link, for my thread on Generator Fuel Consumption.

I typically run about 4000-6000W load, managing the load to keep the generator within limits.

The inverter generators are absolutely awesome, and during periods of lower loads, they don't consume nearly as much fuel, plus they are very pleasant to live with. Want!!!!

But we must remember that modern, high quality generator heads hover around 85-90% efficiency at any reasonable load.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Now I know why I will never buy a generator more powerfull than 2000/2500W

That's why I have an 1800 one. I don't need it for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back