Mobil 1™ Annual Protection oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the new Mobil 1™ Annual Protection oil that states you do not have to change the oil for 1 year for real, or is it unsafe to do that? Thanks

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I think most any oil is good for one year.

Probably so.

Or, at current prices get Amsoil for less than 1/2 the cost and not worry for a year or (up to) 25,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Probably so.

Or, at current prices get Amsoil for less than 1/2 the cost and not worry for a year or (up to) 25,000 miles.

I paid just under $40 for a 5 qt jug of 5W30 AP with a $10 WM gift card offer and a $12 rebate.
Even ignoring the gift card as that promotion has expired, how do you get 5 quarts of Amsoil SS for under $14?

Not knocking Amsoil, I will consider running SS if they come through on their LSPI promise...I just know it's not cheap.

Bingo. Especially an advanced synthetic it should be more than fine for most vehicles. All the vehicles in my signature are rated based on the OLMs and if the OLM doesn't reach zero within a year of your previous oil change they recommend having it changed. This is based on the semi syn delco stuff.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Is it available at quick lube and places where people that don't want to, or can't change their own oil go?

Most quik lube places will do an oil change with the oil and filter you provide, for a reduced price. Call and ask what they charge. That way, if you can't do it yourself, you can still get the products you like and trust.
I would not keep a quick lube filter on one of my vehicles longer than about 3000 miles. They are bottom-tier in quality. At least the ones I have seen used were junk.
Oil is usually OK there. My problem was that if you asked for synthetic, they had to "go in the back room" to get it, in a dispenser. I had no way of knowing if was just the same dino that they usually use. That is why I went back to doing it myself.
Get a jug of the AP and a M1AP or Fram Ultra filter, have them put it in, and you will be good for a year/20K miles.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Walmart will be selling this like crazy when they put it on Rollback at $22.88.

Goes that low, it will be for clearance with no restock.

I think Mobil missed the sweet spot in finding it's market for this oil. Reminds me of the Valvoline "Next Gen" that was overpriced and unless it was rebated well, never sold good enough at normal retail to sustain and earn it's keep on the shelf before being removed.

Any oil can last 1 year.

The problem is, how much do you drive? 3,000 miles per year? 30,000 miles per year? And what kind of car is this?

I don't really see the purpose of going 20k miles on an oil change. Oil is cheap, change it at a reasonable interval.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Walmart will be selling this like crazy when they put it on Rollback at $22.88.

That is what I am waiting for!

The same way I look at Amsoil Signature Series, I see M1AP. In that it's marketed for the hyper miler. Drive all year long on the highway, live on the road, wanna go 30K on one oci or one year? Amsoil Signature or M1AP.

20k vs 15k vs 10k at different price points. I think it boils down to the labor / oil filter / downtime cost for you.

That extra $18 will eats the labor cost Pepboys charge to change my oil. Since I am not that busy I'd pick M1 EP and change it at 15k instead.

Originally Posted By: jake9364
Is the new Mobil 1™ Annual Protection oil that states you do not have to change the oil for 1 year for real, or is it unsafe to do that? Thanks

My owner's manual says I have to change the oil every 6-months due to severe service. Mobil can say anything they want. I will follow my owner's manual and keep my warranty.

Toyota/Lexus are already doing yearly/10k oil change intervals. It seems this is an oil company trying to take advantage of the trend for longer OCI's.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: jake9364

My owner's manual says I have to change the oil every 6-months due to severe service. Mobil can say anything they want. I will follow my owner's manual and keep my warranty.

Toyota/Lexus are already doing yearly/10k oil change intervals. It seems this is an oil company trying to take advantage of the trend for longer OCI's.

Their 10K changes are only for vehicles that use 5w-20 oil the 5w-30 one they still say 5K.

I think it depends on how much one drives and if their vehicle is mechanically sound. But yes, as others have said, a lot of oils can do 1-year.

I found the sweet spot for me is Spring/Fall oil changes (6-month oil changes intervals), with the oil filter being changed once per year at the Fall oil change. Reference my signature for products used.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Probably so.

I paid just under $40 for a 5 qt jug of 5W30 AP with a $10 WM gift card offer and a $12 rebate.
Even ignoring the gift card as that promotion has expired, how do you get 5 quarts of Amsoil SS for under $14?

Not knocking Amsoil, I will consider running SS if they come through on their LSPI promise...I just know it's not cheap.

Well you can pretty much always beat the Amsoil price at WM with a coupon and/or rebate. If price is your primary motivator, cool.

I was just pointing out an oil that advertises one year and 25k changes. Per quart you can see a bit over $8 for SS.

FWIW I have just had a great run with Schaeffer Oil for the better part of a year and 9100 miles.

Well you can pretty much always beat the Amsoil price at WM with a coupon and/or rebate. If price is your primary motivator, cool.

I was just pointing out an oil that advertises one year and 25k changes. Per quart you can see a bit over $8 for SS.

If (1) I actually put 25,000 highway miles on my vehicle per year, and (2) drive a mechanically sound vehicle that is proven to not be hard on oil, then I would be all over Amsoil Signature Series. I could save money and it would be a value to me. But since the (2)two criteria outlined above does not apply to my driving habits and/or vehicle condition, then, oil sourced from the big box store on sale and with mail-in-rebate is the better value for me.

It depends upon what you're driving and how you drive it.
AP would likely be okay in any of the Accords we've had out to a year or 20K, but this is not true for all users or all engines.
I picked up a couple of jugs of this stuff combining store discounts and coupons with the MIR for an average between the two of $17.00 with M1 filters as a part of the deal.
This seems reasonable and I did want to try the oil.
OTOH, with Amsoil SSO, you can actually see what you're getting with high additive levels and very high starting TBN.
With M1 AP, you're kind of taking the oil's claimed service life on faith and this is true of M1 EP as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back