Which entry level AR is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking Ruger, Core, or DPMS but I am open to suggestion. I want to get one soon before the prices go back up.

Which would you buy and why.

Thanks guys.

Any currently produced AR-15 platform rifle from the major manufacturers is going to give you satisfactory service. You most likely are not going to put enough rounds through it where brand choice will make much, if any difference. Shop for the best price, and buy what you like. Prices are going to continue to remain low for the near future. As distributors are trying to unload a lot of inventory they stockpiled in anticipation of a different election outcome that never materialized.

I was looking at that S&W rifle in a local shop, I'll have to ask around about that Ruger at a similar price point...good info.
Paying the delta for a shop vs. online might be worth it for me as the salesman I talked to (former Marine) told me he'd show me how to break the rifle down and clean it...that would definitely be worth something to me.

I built several Palmetto State Armory AR kits in the last few years, both the Freedom series and Premium FN, CHF barrel kits. They are as good as good or better than any of the others!

Originally Posted By: billt460
Any currently produced AR-15 platform rifle from the major manufacturers is going to give you satisfactory service. You most likely are not going to put enough rounds through it where brand choice will make much, if any difference. Shop for the best price, and buy what you like. Prices are going to continue to remain low for the near future. As distributors are trying to unload a lot of inventory they stockpiled in anticipation of a different election outcome that never materialized.

This has been my understanding of it too.

Short of buying something that is hilariously cheaper than everything else, these things are basically a commodity item. That being said, the S&W ones are consistently popular and well-regarded in various tests. If you are skeptical about buying a no-name or "cheap" one, the S&W seems like a safe bet.

Originally Posted By: EricG
I built several Palmetto State Armory AR kits in the last few years, both the Freedom series and Premium FN, CHF barrel kits. They are as good as good or better than any of the others!

Me too! Very happy with the mid-length gas, 18" CHF kit I did last year. Inexpensive way to get into an AR, while learning the details of its construction.

One other thing I would suggest regardless of which brand you buy. Be sure to field strip it, and lubricate all the parts liberally before shooting it. Most all AR-15 rifle manufacturers ship their weapons dry. I don't understand why they do this, but the fact is they do. AR-15 rifles like a lot of lube. So if you take the few minutes to break it down, and lube it up well, it will assure you a trouble free day at the range with your new rifle.

GTGZUV6.jpg

K92Wvza.jpg

Originally Posted By: CT8
The problems with the AR is no one owns just 1.

? Reliability problems?
smile.gif
So you need 5 of them to scrapheap one good out of them?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

? Reliability problems?
smile.gif
So you need 5 of them to scrapheap one good out of them?
grin.gif

In Slovenia, you'll never know.

But, and I mean this, if you ever make it over here, I'll gladly take you shooting, and then, you'll understand...I only own two, but I've got four lowers waiting to be built...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think the S&W M&P 15 is a great entry-level firearm.

That's what I have.

Plenty of YouTube videos to teach how to break it down, clean it, lube it, and put it back together.

Really like both my S&W MP15s!
Especially my camo 300 BLK: Very versatile from 110gr to 210gr BT bullets. I really enjoy using it for any type of Predator hunting or any type of SD if needed.----> Does an amazing job on those 150-250lb wild pigs!

So true! Op buy a lower and parts kit, them buy an assembled upper and put together your own! You can build a nice one for $500 with basic tools from amazon. It's like legos for men.

The great part is you can get your exact preferred combination.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

In Slovenia, you'll never know.

But, and I mean this, if you ever make it over here, I'll gladly take you shooting, and then, you'll understand...I only own two, but I've got four lowers waiting to be built...

I often enjoy in your "ignorance"
smile.gif
Please dont be mad.....I have put "ignorance" into quotation marks!!! I appreciate your willingness to typ a word "Slovenia" into google every time we have our "fights" here on BITOG
smile.gif
And I take into equation that I am in better position here because it is easier to find something about Virginia beach then about small state such as Slovenia.....

I really want to clear some things here for you!

1) Please DONT treat us as a 3rd world state....Irma can prolong its path further up towards you in any time... ;-)

2) Yes we dont have written 2nd amandment in our constitution...but that doesnt mean that people of Slovenia are illiterate on that field

3) in a state with only 2 million residents everyone know every one.....so do the math.....I have friends in police....in army....some are hunters...

4) Yes I am interested in possession of firearms someday in a future....as a recreational shooter (that represents quite a pricy hobby here)

5) I will never buy a M16 pattern rifle...I dont see a point in a"self gunking" typ of rifle ..IF I have to, that will be Zastava M21 (its in 5,56x45 caliber and an AK47 pattern)

6) Look up at price differences between M16 and AK47 imports........ www.rebec.si

7) "ak47 pattern" because of a history......availability......reliability......and mostly because iVans & others are near and you never know when you gonna need it (its always better to have the same rifle as your enemy...due to parts and ammo)

Well my friend....I will remember your proposal for a visit.....but IF I will ever make it over the pond I will go to Oregon (was watching "Mountain men" on history channel....and I really liked their landscape)

Same goes for you......if you will ever visit my state just say hello here. ( You have reminded me to send a reply to my American....now Slovene friends
smile.gif
)

"dat landscape" :p

My understanding of your country comes from Slovenian officers assigned to the NATO HQ in Norfolk while I was assigned there, not Google. In fact, I was deeply involved, in 2007, in the early steps of the approval process of the NATO COE for Mountain Warfare in Bohinjska Bela as part of a set of Centres of Excellence accredited by HQ SACT under MCM-236-04.

Of the many political and social topics that often came up over an espresso (which I kept in stock thanks to a connection with a Czech Republic sargeant), or at social events, or at lunch, was gun control.

I was told, by Slovenians, that you have very tight restrictions, including a lengthy and bureaucratic process, on the ownership of semi-auto rifles and magazine-fed handguns, but that no permit was required to carry a firearm if you had obtained permission to own one.

Perhaps that's changed.

You presume that I know little of your county, because you've stated it often, but your presumption is untrue. I've heard a great deal about it. In fact, I had been scheduled for a trip to the MW COE as part of the early HQ SACT negotiations, but my orders transferring me to US Second Fleet precluded the trip.

I would still like to visit. What I've seen, and heard, is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back