Over filled the engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Nissan I put in 5L where it only takes about 4.75L - will this harm anything?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1/4 of a liter. What is that -- about 8 ounces -- one cup ?
A liter is .95 of a quart. So practically a 1/4 of a quart.

So small of an overfill would never cause issues. Silly to leave 0.25L in a bottle.

Yes Merkava, 250ml is one cup.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1/4 of a liter. What is that -- about 8 ounces -- one cup ?
A liter is .95 of a quart. So practically a 1/4 of a quart.

A Litre is more than a quart. One quart is .946 of a Litre.

The OP's engine takes 4.75L which is pretty much bang on 5 quart.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. I owned a few cars over the years with 4 1/2 qt. sumps and added 5 quarts. One vehicle went well over 200K miles, NY roads killed it, the other is still going strong with about 140k miles on it.

~8oz, no worries. Have an Accord with 4.5qt spec, always use a full 5qt jug. Running strong. Hate having 1/2qt left, ruins my diy oil change feng shui. Fwiw, when dealer did one or two ocs, they did same.

Originally Posted By: Lorism
In my Nissan I put in 5L where it only takes about 4.75L - will this harm anything?

no.

Sigh. This AGAIN? That's what, the 10th guy that's overfilled oil in the last week or so.

Just take what you need out to the car and leave the rest in storage for crying out loud.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I am currently over filled by 1 quart in my 2002 5.3L V-8. I will let you know if it blows up.

It could grenade from a lack of lubrication as the excess oil foams up with air

Just leave it where it's at for now. .25L isn't worth the effort or mess involved with draining.

However, next time, do the job the right way. The manual calls for approximately 4.75L, so dump about 4.25L in, check level, and add until at (or just below) the top of hash mark (or F).

I'm not in the camp of "I just dump in 5 quarts, it'll be fine!". I think that's the lazy way out.

The service manuals are pretty clear on this. They state DO NOT OVERFILL. Additionally, they state that the capacities listed in the manual are simply approximations, and the dipstick is the ultimate authority. Many people have this concept reversed for some reason.

Do I think a small overfill is going to cause an engine failure? Absolutely not. Smoking a single pack of cigarettes likely won't impact your overall health, but we still agree it's not wise.

My CR-V calls for 4.4 qts for an oil change. That puts the oil level not even halfway between the dots on the dipstick. So, I just dump 5 quarts in; it'll be fine.
grin.gif
5 quarts puts it at just a hair below the top dot.

My Frontier calls for 5 & 3/8 quarts. So, I just dump 5 quarts in; it'll be fine.
grin.gif
5 quarts puts it at just a hair below the top mark.

That being said, I wouldn't make it a habit of overfilling. The only time a was legitimately overfilled was the one time I took my vehicle to the dealer for an oil change. I don't even think they drained the oil, just added more. The truck was smoking a ton as soon as I pulled out of the dealer. I circled around (about a half mile) back to the dealer and checked the oil. About an inch over the full mark on the dipstick. I was livid! They changed it again and documented the overfill. They told me if I had any problems to bring it back and they would put in a new engine. I kept the truck until it had 160,000 miles and it never had any problems. It's still being driven today. That's about when I started doing my own maintenance.

"Sigh. This AGAIN? That's what, the 10th guy that's overfilled oil in the last week or so."

Correcting any mistake will get you sharper faster than anything else.

While an overfill of 8 oz. will likely cause no problems, there's no guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back