Slow Cookers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching YouTube videos and I'm convinced I need one.
smile.gif

I think I might need one on the larger size for cooking great big roasts to make shredded beef tacos.

What brand you guys recommend ? How many quarts ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What brand you guys recommend ?

Brand doesn't really matter.
Yard sales, goodwills.... They're like $5 or less.

Get one with a "lift out" crock.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How many quarts ?

At least 6 quarts,

8 will hold a nice sized roast & some "carrots & spuds"

Do check the thrift shops for one as they seem to show up frequently.

Don't get a dinky (small) cylindrical one

We got a 6.5 quart All-Clad with timer etc. Just used it last night to make a simple pot roast.
The lift-out crockery liner appears to be of extremely high quality.
As capable as ours is I can easily see where a larger one (someone mentioned 8 qt.) would be handy.
I guess that goes for any machine.
Even though, I can EASILY see where the size (and weight) of these things could cause many to leave theirs in a lower cabinet unused.

The thing has an AAA+ rating from ME (the cook).

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Which one leaves the least varnish when you cook at high temp?

I see what you did there.
grin2.gif

6 quart Crock-Pot brand is the old standby.
I used mine this past week in the travel trailer, made chili.
Whipped up a batch of cornbread in the bread-maker as well.
Good eatin' over a couple days.

Oval one with the lift out pot. Makes for easy cleaning.

I just cooked an 8 lb. pork shoulder, which ended up as about 6 quarts of chili verde.

I've had the basic Crock Pot 8-qt model with the 4-position switch for a while. It's been great, and they're about $30.

Got 3. Use the large one to cook a bunch of spaghetti sauce and freeze quarts in freezer bags. Small one for gravies, cheese sauces etc on table. Medium for cooking down beer,onion, pepper and brats.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Good old Crock Pot brand....

+1 I am shocked you don't already have one. That is like having toilet paper with my family. Everybody has one and uses it daily. Super easy to make good food. Search up recipes online. We like to prep everything the morning. Toss it in the crock, cook it slow and come home from work to a great meal.

I have an oval one with the lift out pot. Found a 1" oval silicone "rack" for it. This is great as it lifts the meats out of the fat. Best corned beef I ever made a couple weeks ago with this.

s-l500.jpg

I like using ours. We got it as a gift from my mom years ago and the handle for the lid broke. I fixed it with a piece of wire and it's still working just fine.

I don't think a timer is necessary. I mean, it's not like you can overcook or burn something in there if you have enough liquid in the pot.

The longer the cooking time, the better the flavor
smile.gif

You need one. Just throw in meat, cut-up veggies and spices and a few hours later you have a great meal. Eat with bread, rice, or whatever, if you need a starch, or throw in potatoes too.

I like to take a whole chicken and put a big onion inside it. Then cook it about 6-8 hours. Makes good dog/cat food too with the drippins

I was looking at a Crockpot brand slow cooker today at Costco . I don't know what they make that removable liner out of but it'd heavy! It's big and black and feels like a cast iron bathroom sink!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back