Radiator Drain plug tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a tool available to remove the drain plug in the pic below:
W01331817945NSS.JPG

i dont have a screw driver head thats big enough for it.

i dont have enough space to get a screwdriver behind it. and largest screwdriver flat head bits iv seen are 8mm. need something twice the size.

Go buy a stubby flat blade screwdriver, you'll need it for something else in future. Get a stubby Phillips while you're at it.

Better, get an offset (L-shaped) screwdriver set. Time to expand your tool selection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slybunda
i dont have enough space to get a screwdriver behind it. and largest screwdriver flat head bits iv seen are 8mm. need something twice the size.

How about a piece of Angle Aluminum or any kind of scrap metal ?
Don't position it like a screw-driver, but more like a wrench.

I hope that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Pull a hose.

+1 I always drain the hose instead of dealing with the plug. it drains quicker and I never like to mess around with breaking the plugs.

If you're going to use Vice Grips, buy a spare plug first. A shot of Kriol or the like may help.

Last edited:
Look closely. Some actually have dished slots. Using a large coin with a pliers is the best-fitting tool. If not, a sheet metal paint can opener fits well.

When closing, remember that they are o-ring sealed. Slightly deforming the o-ring cross section provides the most reliable seal. You don't need to tighten them as if they are pipe threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back