Accidental use of 5w30 instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only mistake that has been made is using the 5w-20 to begin with....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You can't go back to 5W-20 now !! That engine is stretched out to 5W-30 clearances !!

Go back to 5W-20 and your oil pressure will be next to nothing !!

Those smart molecules in the Magnatec will know about the stretching and adjust for it
smile.gif

NO!!! You will HAVE TO tear down engine, wipe every internal piece of metal down with a lint free cloth and hope that the oil didn't soak into the metal and degrade it!!!!! Hahahah , I'm Obviously kidding too!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Chevy specs 5W-30 in their HO V8s then tells you to use 15W-50 when you go to the track. What does that tell you about oil viz?

That your oil temps during track use are significantly higher and would thin out an XXw-30 at heat. Plus there's the issue of shear down in fuel dilution when running that hard

If putting 5w-30 oil in an engine that specs 5w-20 oil was a problem, then the engine in my Fusion would be screwed.

...and yet, it's not. In fact, UOAs that I have done on 5w-30 OCIs show that the engine did extremely well on 5w-30.. Just as well, I'd say, as it did on 5w-20.

Granted, the 2.5 duratec in my Fusion is not the same engine as the 2.4 in your car, but I'd say it's close enough to reasonably say that I doubt your 2.4 will mind the 5w-30 oil at all.

Well...........Get ready to replace the starter, timing chain/belt, oil pump drive gear/shaft and most probably the VVT cam adjusters. I can hear the metal screeching & stretching from here, all from that THICK oil. Chain the hood down, it's getting ready to explode. Or nothing will happen.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Many cam cover oil caps list the "prefered" oil. IDK if this is your case.
However, 5W30 should be just fine and may even be listed in the Owner's Manual(OM) as an optional oil to use. Have you looked in the OM to see if it is listed there?

The 2015 Altima in my signature has 0W20 as the prefered oil in the OM(nothing on the oil cap). However in the OM is lists 5W30 & 10W30 as options but what is strange is, there is no 5W20 listed!
smirk.gif

The 2006 Mazda3 in my signature has ONLY 5W20 listed on the cam cover oil cap and in the OM however, I use lots of 5W30 without issue.

Last edited:
What does the manual say?

It could say something to the tune that you're able to run a 5w30 if a 5w20 isn't available.

Thanks for the replies everyone (constructive or not)! I'm fairly sure it was just in my head but the engine seemed very quiet at idle after the oil change. Ran normally on the test drive. Maybe I'll even stick with the 5w30 next time...

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Maybe I'll even stick with the 5w30 next time...

Come to the Dark Side.......We have thick oil.

So many 5W30 that are resource conserving are on the thin side and close to a 5W20 anyway. Won't make much difference.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Absolutely no harm. I've run everything from 5w20 to 10w30 to euro 0w40 in the in-laws' '10 Caravan 3.8L and nothing has phased it.

Or even fazed it.

That, too.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I can hear autistic screeching from the "thinnies" around here after they have read the title.

Speaking of "autistic", which comment?

I keep seeing those idiotic comments as if "thin oil" people run around telling people to use 0W-20 in their mullet wagon. It doesn't happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back