Bow in Insulated Clopay Garage Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody decided to back up the driveway to better facilitate the removal of the $280 worth of groceries in the trunk of my '98 LS400. As I was studying for Sunday's sermon, that said somebody came running into the house via the garage man door saying, "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. How much will it cost? I don't think I hurt the car. Can you forgive me? I didn't mean to".

I took a deep breath and proceeded to walk towards the incident. Well, the bumper on the '98 LS400 is perfect so I'm feeling better. I look at the Clopay Insulated panels and there are just a few tiny creases that I could easily live with. Said perpetrator starting to cry as I said nothing. Getting ready to say, "It's all good" when I look down to where the bottom panel touches the concrete. I think, banana, 1/4 moon, bow, etc.

Just taking a stab but is there a way to straighten those panels since they are only bowed about 2 inches? They still go up and down so that's good.

You surely aren't talking about your wife here...because your narrative comes across pretty harsh.

T0 answer your question I was able to take the major bow out of a lower panel 2 car wide that an elderly lady backed into but it isn't perfect.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Put the car in the garage, close door, reverse.

Thought about it but the hinges are all in the way. Would cut my bumper.

Last edited:
You have to straighten it by "rewinding in slow motion"

You have to work from the outside edges towards the center as you straighten it.

I'd probably pull the car as far forward as I could, put my rear on the bumper and give the door a push with my feet.

Originally Posted By: Gebo

Use blocks of wood, plywood, and carpet to protect the bumper. Use a beater vehicle.

Start at the sides and work slowly towards the center.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I'd probably pull the car as far forward as I could, put my rear on the bumper and give the door a push with my feet.

That might work, with two strong guys!

Work from the sides towards the center. >>>-<<<

Call a garage repair guy. Tell them you want to know if it can be fixed instead of replaced, and insist on not replacing it.

Some of them are good hearted enough to know how to fix small dents and creases for a few hundred.

They damaged your property and then ran in the house? That outcome would have been a lot different if that would have been my house.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Use blocks of wood, plywood, and carpet to protect the bumper. Use a beater vehicle.

Start at the sides and work slowly towards the center.

The carpet idea coupled with my 4Runner might just work. I have no idea what you mean by starting at the sides though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back