1987 Mazda RX-7, 120K, Super Tech 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I may go back to the yellow bottle Pennzoil.

There's no way I'll ever sell that car, my mother bought it new and drove it until 2000, then it sat 12 years until I got it running again. I hadn't driven it much lately because it has no heat, no A.C., no power steering, wouldn't idle, no front brakes, etc. I fixed all of those things in the past few weeks, so I plan on putting more miles on it now. Plus, I have 5 other vehicles, so that means less seat time in it.

Last edited:
Does the Supertech oil usually have that amount of sodium in it? Looks more like Valvoline.

OP, I might suggest blacking out your personal info on that analysis report.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't sell it.

One of the hardest thing for a rx-7 is to idle, that sucker run richer than Adnan Khashoggi's blood alcohol.

Also, if you don't use it enough the injector stick, don't spray.

Well I changed my mind, sell it!

That car is at best a $800 car, so if I were to sell it here in rural Appalachia one of two things would happen:
1) some hillbilly would run it into the ground and then crush it.
2) some hillbilly would swap a smallblock Chevy engine into it, run it into the ground, then crush it.

I think she's way better off in my climate controlled garage being religiously maintained and driven at least twice per month.
grin.gif

If you were to sell it I would advertise outside your area or in a Mazda fan publication or website.

Are you sure that oil was Supertech 20w-50?

Looks like a low additive oil, which (If I am not mistaken) is kind of desired for rotaries.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If you were to sell it I would advertise outside your area or in a Mazda fan publication or website.

Naturally, that would be the best audience.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Are you sure that oil was Supertech 20w-50?

Kind of wondering the same thing.... that's just not normal.

Sounds like that car is your baby
smile.gif
Lots of sentimental attachment to it. Treat her good with the best fluids. Pennzoil and Quaker State conventional are among the best imo. A friend of mine had a 93 twin turbo RX7 and he ran Quaker State conventional in it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Surprised no one has mentioned you really can't use synthetics in these.

Idemitsu makes a synthetic specially designed for the Mazda rotary, but typical synthetics are not recommended.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Man that's a THIN 20W50!! I'd drop Supertech like a bad habit.

I agree, that's a weak-looking oil. It is down to a 40-weight, and a light one at that, with LOW ZDDP content. And the UOA is showing both fuel and antifreeze. I suggest running some kind of old-school conventionsl, like Valvoline VR1 20w50. Drive it more. Get the injectors cleaned and flow tested. And keep an eye on the fuel and antifreeze contents in future UOA's.

My RX7 says yours needs more love. XD get that thing out and have some fun asap! Rev it up to redline and let it sing the song of its people!

Oh, I do.
grin.gif
It gets redlined at least once every time I drive it (after 10-15 minutes of driving to get it good and warm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back