'14 Yamaha R1, Amsoil metric 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was changed at ~500, 1000, and 3400 miles before this sample. Only mods are A Coffman's shorty slip-on, and an ECU reflash. The shift quality of this bike is a bit notchy for my liking, and I'd like to try a different oil so see if it helps. I've heard good things about Motul 7100/300v.

I think the Amsoil 20w-50 is a better oil than the 10w-40. The 20w-50 shifts/runs nice in my 02 FZ1.

Thanks for posting the UOA.

Personally, though it most likely will go against your way of thinking based on your comments, if your looking for shift quality, conventional oil is the only way to go, your bikes engine will last just as long no matter what oil you choose.
Being your in a cold climate, 20w50 may not be the best choice even though that will give you better shift feel.

Personally, I think you would love an HEDO like Valvoline Blue or Rotella CK4. I would avoid all others unless you know the zinc/phos levels of the others.

and if your really set on a motorcycle spec oil (nothing at all wrong with that) I think even among the same makers you would find shift quality better if you choose their conventional offerings over their syn. I would also be curious on how Valvoline 20w50 syn motorcycle oil would do for you if you really want syn.

Last edited:
The shifting issue is partly me... I also own a '16 KTM 690 Enduro R, more on that later.
I've found that the R1 actually shifts pretty decent if shifted quickly, and just a little nudge one the shifter. Problem is, if I shift the KTM like that, I'll get a false neutral in 4-5-6 pretty consistently, so I shift slower and more deliberate. If I shift the R1 like the KTM, it clunks. Otherwise, the KTM shifts are buttery smooth, and I'm running amsoil dirt bike 10w60. Will do a UOA on that next year.

Ok, got it.
You have the pleasure of having to get used to shifting two different bikes! :eek:)

Anyway, rushing to work, this is what I was saying about the conventional HEDO oil, this one is the new Valvoline CK4, in the diesel oil forum, turned in great numbers on a semi! Highest miles on the oil, lowest wear.

Im not promoting it to you in anyway, not even sure if it would be right for your bike, just following up to my previous statement for others that maybe reading this thread, the additives are pretty robust compared to some other oils regarding zinc/phos in some bike oils.

Click, Valvoline CK4

amsoil is supposed to be very good MC oil unless you have problems with it, I would stay with it.

DOn't know what the climat condition you live in but if it it a warm environment, you can use 10w50

What I don't know is the claim that a thinner oil cools the engine better although how relevant this is for road use, I don't know!
bearing in mind that oil looses it VI with use, given the choice, I would always stick with MC specific oil & synthetic ones

I have a single 660 yamaha and the gearchange it totally different to my CBR-RR with or without clutch.

I also think how much linkage there is between the lever and the gearbox shaft make a big difference to the change quality & its feel.
you may want to look into a gearbox shaft support bracket (giles tooling) which I have heard improved the shift quality

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bonjo
amsoil is supposed to be very good MC oil unless you have problems with it, I would stay with it.

This.
Amsoil's products may not be perfect for everything, but they're never a bad choice.
I may try one of the ester based oils, just to see if shifts any better, but I'll be sending it for UOA also.
Another member posted a number of UOAs from a KTM 690 Duke, (same motor as my Enduro) and both the 10w60 and 60w Amsoil gave better wear numbers than the $$$ factory recommended Motorex.

motul 300v & silkolen pro4+ are ester based you may like to try. (not to forget Mobil1 10/40 FS)

Amsoil "used to be" PAO with Ester when i used it, but now who knows as they are tight lipped + no longer tout PAO!! likely group III with some group IV + or V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back