dexos1 Gen 2 List Hosed Up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that XOM has updated a bunch of the Mobil 1 product webpages with Gen 2 info and went to see if the CQA online list for that license had also been updated. It's showing dexos2 licenses now!

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

I'd assume some webmaster got as confused by the dexos1 Gen2/dexos2 thing as the average consumer, I'm curious to see when this will be fixed.

Anyway, XOM verified that M1 5W30 AP is a Gen 2 oil, as its license number would suggest. This is good for me because I just used this for a change because I have been so curious about this oil, normally I won't buy oils anymore without seeing calcium/sodium levels, NOACK loss, and CCS results but I took a leap of faith here. The AP was just under $40 at my local WM and still had an offer for $10 WM gift card at the time (think this has expired) as well as a $12 XOM rebate, so I figured it was effectively about $7 more than buying vanilla M1 5W30 assuming all the promotions come through.

I had the bright idea to leave a bit in the jug for a VOA, but then realized during the change that I had nothing else reasonable to put the old oil into and that went out the window. I will consider a UOA, but that will be compromised a bit because I need just a bit more than 5 quarts and topped off with less than half a quart of M1 5W30 ESP...yeah, I admit that I'm one of those crazy oil mixer guys. Didn't feel like paying $12 or whatever it is for a quart of the AP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I just noticed that XOM has updated a bunch of the Mobil 1 product webpages with Gen 2 info and went to see if the CQA online list for that license had also been updated. It's showing dexos2 licenses now!

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

I'd assume some webmaster got as confused by the dexos1 Gen2/dexos2 thing as the average consumer, I'm curious to see when this will be fixed.

Anyway, XOM verified that M1 5W30 AP is a Gen 2 oil, as its license number would suggest. This is good for me because I just used this for a change because I have been so curious about this oil, normally I won't buy oils anymore without seeing calcium/sodium levels, NOACK loss, and CCS results but I took a leap of faith here. The AP was just under $40 at my local WM and still had an offer for $10 WM gift card at the time (think this has expired) as well as a $12 XOM rebate, so I figured it was effectively about $7 more than buying vanilla M1 5W30 assuming all the promotions come through.

I had the bright idea to leave a bit in the jug for a VOA, but then realized during the change that I had nothing else reasonable to put the old oil into and that went out the window. I will consider a UOA, but that will be compromised a bit because I need just a bit more than 5 quarts and topped off with less than half a quart of M1 5W30 ESP...yeah, I admit that I'm one of those crazy oil mixer guys. Didn't feel like paying $12 or whatever it is for a quart of the AP.

Wonder how those Jugs are marked. Are we about to see another Walmart Rollback

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

My AP jug was marked with a dexos1 (not Gen 2) logo, but had the Gen 2 license # on the back.
Very confusing!!
I mentioned in another thread that I saw two types of Valvoline 5W30 synth with the Gen 2 logo last week.

My AP jug was marked with a dexos1 (not Gen 2) logo, but had the Gen 2 license # on the back.
Very confusing!!
I mentioned in another thread that I saw two types of Valvoline 5W30 synth with the Gen 2 logo last week.

Yah that's what I mean who knows what's in that Jug time for a Rollback

Here I set and my stash is completely full maybe I'd better rent some space from my shooting buddy?

Last edited:

Very confusing!!

Yah that's what I mean who knows what's in that Jug time for a Rollback

Here I set and my stash is completely full maybe I'd better rent some space from my shooting buddy?

I'd be up for a Rollback on the AP!
I feel pretty good because this is a new formulation that has had the Gen 2 license on it from the get go, but I guess I don't know anything about it for sure.

This will probably confuse a lot of end users too
crazy2.gif

Just noticed that Supertech 0W20 and 5W30 are on the gen 2 list!

The M1 situation is even stranger now, with only the standard 5W30 on the CQA list but XOM's website showing all grades of M1, M1 EP, and M1 AP except 10W30 and 0W40 as dexos1 Gen 2 with the exact license numbers given. As I've mentioned before, the APs have had Gen 2 license numbers since they were introduced despite not having the Gen 2 logo on the bottle fronts.
Does seem like 0W30, 0W40, and 10W30 do not show up on dexos1 lists, maybe GM does not recommend any of those grades for their products?

Maybe GM should stop trying so hard to fail. The whole dexos thing is petty & irritating. Instead of building good will they spend their time trying to squeeze a few bucks out of the oil companies who just pass the cost on to GM's customers. Thanks.

From my first look it seems a lot of the blends were dropped off (SOPUS being one of the major labels still on the list) otherwise everything appears to be solid oils. I was going to use Pennzoil Platinum when I am off the warranties anyways so I guess I am making a good decision.

Does seem like 0W30, 0W40, and 10W30 do not show up on dexos1 lists, maybe GM does not recommend any of those grades for their products?

Yeah, I believe they are not Dexos1 approved viscosity grades, even if on an excellent oil that would do the job well. I think GM is trying to reduce customer confusion and giving just a few oil grades that should work for most climates and applications.

Here in Oz the diesel & turbo-petrol engines get specc'd the high HTHS Dexos2 by GM-Australia, I've only seen that as a 5W30 and 5W40.

"Yeah, I believe they are not Dexos1 approved viscosity grades, even if on an excellent oil that would do the job well. I think GM is trying to reduce customer confusion and giving just a few oil grades that should work for most climates and applications. "

It does sound like a bit of social engineering on the part of GovMo. The oil companies should be a bit irritated, not withstanding the dexos fees they have to pay as well.

Yes I think it's a bit silly. You have M1 5W30 as a Dexos approved oil, yet M1 0W30 and M1 10W30 are not approved, even though any sane person knows they will do the job well, and in the correct climate application, maybe even better.

I think companies like XOM, SOPUS etc on their premium product line with grades like 10W30 etc, should start stating things like: meets all the quality requirements of Dexos but not licenced due to being a non-standard GM viscosity grade. Or somthing like that. People do it to the Euro OEMs all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back