Rotella T6 in a 2009 Mini Cooper JCW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 2009 Mini Cooper John Cooper Works with 83k miles and somewhat fairly modded. According to mini it requires a 5w30 full synthetic and from I know requires ACEA, A3/B4, API SL, BMW Longlife-01. I live in Massachusetts and 50/50 drive like on a race track or just mellow. But when I do drove it hard I go in. My usual daily commute is 24 miles from work to home which 20 of those miles is highways. As of right now my car has no issues. Buy the most common problem for minis is it's timing chain going and it's burns oil like it's no tommorow. And a friend of mine recommend rotella t6 since he said he almost never burns oil in his. And the main reason I'm hesitant on switching to it is that it's not 5w30, it's 5w40 and not what it reccomends so all insight would be great.

Last edited:
Topic from ONLY 2 days ago...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4511995/Re:_'04_Mini_Cooper_S_JCW_-_5w#Post4511995

I'm still new to a lot of this, but I wouldnt worry so much about the heavier grade of a 40, but I would think about the new Rotella formula which dropped a lot of its gasoline certifications. I don't think it's so much the fact that it can't meet the specs or wouldn't work in a gas engine (I have 2 jugs I still plan to run in my STi) but rather shell just hasn't jumped through all the hoops to get it "certified" for gasoline usage. It's traditionally a very stout oil good with turbos and might work well in your car, but there are other probably better/cheaper options...

In your case I would lean more towards the european formulas of Mobil1 or Castrol Edge both in the 0w40 grade. I think Mobil1 is on the lighter side of a 40 weight if you want to ease into it, then if you're still burning oil go to the edge.

Welcome to bitog!

There's plenty of N14 powered Mini street/track cars out west here running T6 with success.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Go to Walmart and get the 5qt. jug of Castrol 0w-40. BMW Longlife-01 and you're done.

Ditto

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Go to Walmart and get the 5qt. jug of Castrol 0w-40. BMW Longlife-01 and you're done.

Ditto

Yep.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Ditto.

Yep.

Indeed.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: MCompact

Ditto.

Yep.

Indeed.

Yes.

^^
This. My Mini stopped consuming oil when I moved to Castrol euro formula 0-40. Sometimes use 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back