Car Ramp Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good set of ramps for oil changes, etc. Will be for a Mazda CX-9, Toyota Sienna, and Dodge Durango. Been driving front wheels on RV jack pads to give me enough clearance to crawl under...think it is time to invest in a good set of ramps. Any good ones out there or should I go the jack route?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use the Rhino ramps, but it may take several attempts to get the tires centered on the ramps.

I have the Rhinos also, rated to 6000 lbs each. Just right for oil changing height.

I've found that if you take the time to line them up they're easy to get on and centered.

I bought Scepter ramps on Amazon because I didn't like the construction of the Rhinos.
Bad thing is that the Scepters don't stack and they are a pain to store...but, they don't stack because of the way they are constructed, which I like.
Lately I have been using a $30 floor jack and jack stands, so maybe I will sell off the ramps.

Rhino makes a set with 16,000 lb capacity for full size SUVs and pickups. They have a slightly higher lift, which means they have a slightly steeper ramp angle. My old Hyundai Sonata would just barely clear the chin spoiler, but my CRV and RAM pickup have had no problem. Your vehicle list should be fine. Both versions nest when not in use, so they take up less storage space.

When you get the ramps, take a minute and glue the rubber anti-skid puck into its holder with some RTV or whatever you've got handy. Without that anti-skid rubber in there, they can tend to scoot out from under a car attempting to drive up on them, which means you're going to have a Bad Time.

Too often it falls out and the ramps get thrown away. FWIW, if you lose the rubber puck, they will send you a replacement free.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use the Rhino ramps, but it may take several attempts to get the tires centered on the ramps.

I've found that if you take the time to line them up they're easy to get on and centered.

I found you shouldn't try to line up ramps and attempt to drive on. you drive the car to where you want to start ascending with a strqight wheel, then you wedge the ramps up against the tires (like chocks). then no lining up necessary, youre fitting the ramp to the car not the other way around

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I got a set from Walmart years ago and they've been serving me well.

I bought Rhino ramps from Wal-Mart years ago and use them for every oil change on the cars in my signature.
While my VW isn't lowered, it's low enough that I need to stick a 2X4 in front of the ramp. No biggie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flotool-RhinoRamp-12-000-lb-Ramps-2-Pack-11909/151459334148?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&redirect=mobile

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I have the Rhinos also, rated to 6000 lbs each. Just right for oil changing height.

I wedge the ramps right into the tires like a door stop, but it still takes me several tries.

A word about rhino ramps: Use them only on smooth concrete. I have an aggregate driveway and they cracked during use when one of them slipped a little bit. I reckon the same caution should be taken with any plastic ramp.

Edit: There was another brand of ramp I'm trying to remember that has a low approach angle, should help with the sliding issue but I can't remember it. Will post back when I do

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
A word about rhino ramps: Use them only on smooth concrete. I have an aggregate driveway and they cracked during use when one of them slipped a little bit. I reckon the same caution should be taken with any plastic ramp

+1
only use them on concrete or asphalt.. unless its a tiny load like my 1000lb tractor.

I skidded one of my rhinos and cracked it.. I like to replace them after 6years or so. I use mine frequently so much handier than jack stands and no scrapes on the bottom of the car to rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back