Best synthetic high mileage oils in 5W-20 & 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find a concrete answer to this. I know the majority of the off the shelf oils are practically all the same or yield similar results but is there a high mileage oil that actually comes out on top when it comes to wear, longevity and low NOAK? I'm thinking about using PPHM in 0W-20 on my next oil change since my car will reach about 100K at that time but it'll also be 11 years old by then as well. Hopefully you guys here would like to chip yalls 2 cents on the matter. Thanks.

Define best? Best price best, best base oil, best additive package or best marketing. Oil is pretty much oil.

In general terms oil that meets an API spec is about the same as any other oil that meets the same spec. They can be mixed and matched to your heart's content. An oil company must stop when it meets the spec because to invest more in time and resources would cause unneeded expenses and really cut into profits because they sell a lot of the stuff. Good enough is good enough. In fact, these oil companies often buy their base stock and additives from the same suppliers. You might be getting virtually the same exact oil with a different label. Let marketing fill in the fluff and present the product. Today cars most often fall apart, lose their appeal or rust away before the engine fails.

Today's 4-cycle gasoline poppet valve fuel injected engine using current engine oil is a marvel of design, development and mass production. It's been around for over 100 years and so far has resisted a takeover by any number of proposed replacements. As more challenges appear the good ole fashioned 4-cycle engine shows that it still has the "right stuff" and there's more to come.

Now, to answer your question. The only reasonable variables left for a given API spec are price and availability. Buy the cheapest, on sale oil that meets viscosity and spec's required for your application.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What make and model of car? Engine?

Scion TC
2AZ-FE

I already did 2 oil consumption tests due to my engine using about 1.5 to 2 qts. of oil between estimated 5K OCI's. I'm aware of the TSB on oil consumption but the dealer says I've passed both tests stating I didn't burn enough oil to report a problem with my motor. I've used off the shelf full synthetic oils 9/10 years of it's life so far mainly using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and EP but switched to Pennzoil Platinum about 2 years ago.

I'd go with Valvoline MaxLife (red bottle)syn-blend. Full synthetics seem to burn more not less with these types of issues.

Don't know about best, but I've had great luck with Valvoline MaxLife Blend in several older vehicles. Has stopped leaks and reduced consumption. That's what I'd try first.

Thanks for the input guys. I've heard a lot of great things about Valvolines Maxlife but not a whole lot of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
Don't know about best, but I've had great luck with Valvoline MaxLife Blend in several older vehicles. Has stopped leaks and reduced consumption. That's what I'd try first.

I ended up buying a 5 qt. jug of Valvoline Full Synthetic w/Maxlife in 0W-20 since my next OCI will be in December - February. I don't know how this oil performs because all the information find are the Maxlife blends in 5W-30 that most people talk about online.

I have PP 0W-20 regular synthetic about to go in my Odyssey but I plan on using MaxLife FS 0W-20 next time around. Hope it works out well for ya!

Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Syntetic, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage or Valvoline High Mileage Full Syntetic. Whatever's on the shelf at Wal Mart at the time I need to change the oil or on sale at NAPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back