08 fusion zerex g-05 vs asian

Status
Not open for further replies.
my moms 08 fusion 2.3 needs a new thermostat(stuck open) and with 100,000 miles on the car its time for a coolant flush as well. i know its costly to do a complete flush with distilled water and zerex asian is only sold 50/50. so ignoring cost, and assuming i completely flush out the factory gold coolant, will zerex asian cause any gasket/seal damage or erosion/cavitation.

the mazda version of this car came with green coolant but now they recommend fl22?

also i guess the same question applies for my triumph motorcycle, factory fill with mobil 1 blue until it went away or something else happened then they came with green(mine was green).

Not sure why you want to switch from G05 to ZAF? G05 low silicate Long Life HOAT and available in concentrate.

ZAF with complete exchange will cause no harm, but no point either imo. And premix a pain and wasteful for complete exchange.

As for Mazda the older green concentrate a PHOAT but shorter service interval. FL22 Long Life PHOAT, 55/45 premix, and afaik still green tint.

I'd stick with G05 concentrate after distilled flush series and forget the ZAF.

Mazda FL-22 and Ford Specialty Green are the wrong coolants for that car. So is Zerex Asian. Yes, technically, they will work, but you'd have to do a full flush and make sure you got all of the existing coolant out.

See this chart, from Ford which lists which coolants should be used in which cars. For the 08 Fusion, Motorcraft Gold coolant is specified, which is also frequently referred to as 'G-05' coolant.

I bought a gallon of the stuff - the concentrate - at my local Ford dealership for about $17 plus tax. You can also find Zerex G-05 for a similar price.

i guess i didnt clarify my reason for asking.

i have on hand 6 gallons of zerex asian. it would be nice to use what i have, and also get everything on the same coolant so i only have to maintain a stock of one kind.

however the reason i asked you fine people first was im an ex ford tech and i know in some applications the wrong coolant can be deadly to an engine, a ford 6.0 diesel running dex-cool for example(oh man we saw alot of these).

as a tech we were not educated on formulations and compatibility. however most of you are knowledgeable when it comes to this, some of you experts.

so i guess i should modify my question... is there some huge compatibility issue for hoses, seals, or metals in the system that literally screams "NO DONT DO IT!"?

but as i sit here about to click submit, im wondering how long shes gonna keep the car and does it matter anyway.

anybody know of any good reading on the subject of phosfates borates and silicates?

Hey man:

I have a Mazda with the 2.3 engine.

As I understand it, FL22 and the Ford version (Specialty Green Concentrate?) are the same. I did some research and could not find anything definitive that Zerex Asian was compatible.

Rather than risk it, and deal with mixing colors, I just went with the recommended fluid (FL22, but maybe Ford made a change later). I second what everyone says about using the OEM recommendation. These motors are kinda [censored] children with some oddities (such as trans fluid).

I also just did this job - it is a pain. If you take it on, I recommend that you replace the hose clamps (on the thermostat) rather than mess with trying to reuse the old. I wasted too much time trying to get them back in place and was [censored] the parts store was closed.

Also - install the bottom screw first, and then the two top. Don't make the mistake of connecting the hoses and then installing the themo. (I tried this after fighting with the hoses for too long and them had trouble with the bottom screw).

The drive belt is a hassle also. Get a partner, or use a breaker bar to rotate the engine while keeping pressure on the tension pulley. (Google this - it will save you time). There is a notch in the frame where you can jam a long ratchet while you rotate the engine and keep pressure on the pulley.

Hope it helps.

allright guys, g-05 it is.

thanks for helping me.

i know the thermostat is a bear of a job. im replacing the upper hose and bypass hose at the same time. i dont feel like going back in for a leaking hose. im doing a belt and tensioner at the same time.

this car also has the fnr5 trans, ive done a drain and fill every 20K with amsoil multi atf(meets mazda m-v spec) and i had the ecu updated in 09. the update made a big difference in shifting.

thanks again everyone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Sent you a PM.
Why though? Is your knowledge on this issue proprietary and not to be shared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back