Tips for replacing front rotors, pads 2007Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maybe replacing pads and rotors for first time myself. Have done it with help awhile back on a 2000 Chevy Express. What all is different? I do have a metric allen socket set on the way(atd tools). Suggestions? Tips?

My advice would be to look up a youtube video on how to do it for that specific vehicle. That way you know the process and what tools you will need before doing the job.

Nice thing about brakes is that there's only one way they will go together. You really can't do it wrong.

Being in PA, make sure you thoroughly clean and lube the caliper bracket before you put it back together. Special attention to the guide pins and the notches that the pad hardware clip into. The goal is to keep everything corrosion free and un-seized for the life of the brakes.

Don't think you will need any Allen wrenches. I didn't on my '07 explorer. All metric bolts.

Check the slider pins and lube them. Last change I ended up replacing the caliper brackets too as the pins were rusted in place to the bracket.

Otherwise, straightforward...

Save a brake pad and use that with a c clamp to compress the piston, make sure it's even and going in easy.

Also use blue loctite on all hardware with a torque wrench. I didn't and one time I had a brake caliper bracket come loose and destroy a wheel which stranded me. So don't be me.
smile.gif

AGE OLD ADVICE: "Do one side at a time"

This way, during reassembly, if you forget something, you can run around to the other side and see what it's supposed to look like.

Get a set of those wee wire brushes from Harbor Freight so you can get "Deeeep into Corners" (from an old Windex ad)

My advice: get coated rotors, something with a coating to deter rust. This will help a lot! Popular choices include Centric Premium, Wagner E-Shield (part numbers ending in E), and EBC rotors

For pads, get Akebono, or Wagner OEX

You may want to flush the brake fluid, too. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back