2-Stroke oil in diesel for winter preservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Windy Scirocco 32 with a twin Volvo Penta KAD300 installation. The fuel tank on the boat is of aluminium and 520 liters. I put the boat on shore from end of September to app. end of April and I leave it with a full tank to minimize condensation.

I was first thinking of adding a diesel improver additive with water emulgating properties when filling the tank before winter storage. But then I got uncertain if this is wise. Any water emulgated in the diesel would leave the tank, travel through the water separators without falling out and into the Bosch rotary HP pump and the diesel nozzles. Could any water emulgated in the diesel cause corrossion in the fuel system?

The diesel here in Norway has a biodiesel content of 2-5%. So I was thinking if it maybe would be smarter to add 2-Stroke oil to the diesel on the last fill up before winter storage? If yes, mineral based 2-Stroke oil or Synthetic? And at what concentration? I can also add that there is no DPF or catalysator on the exhaust side of the engines to worry about getting clogged.

From a lubricity standpoint, two stroke oil, such as a typical TCW-III outboard oil, will improve lubricity on conventional diesel. However, you state that your diesel contains Biodiesel, itself a very good lubricity additive. You probably do not need more lubricity.

From a stability standpoint, diesel fuel, and in particular biodiesel has a limited life. I don't "know" that adding two stroke oil will increase the lifespan of the fuel, I can only say I "suspect" it might. I do have a tank with diesel and two stroke oil mix. It's lasted for years in a plastic tank.

Remember that additives designed to extend the life of diesel fuel exist. A good additive may include metal deactivators (copper and zinc can react with the fuel) and anti oxidant. The two stroke oil may, in some small measure be an anti oxidant.

Biocide is for killing bacterias. 2-stroke oil improves lubrication and preservation properties (I assume?).

Adding oils to the diesel will increase its life, as it makes it harder for "algae" diesel microbes to reproduce.

Biodiesel decomposes quicker, but not sure why - perhaps due to oxidation?

There is no way around the biodiesel over here. By law the distributors have to blend in minimum 2% biodiesel. If over 5% the pump must be clearly marked. What I get is somewhere between 2 and 5%.

The biodiesel is more susceptible to being "eaten" by bacteria, etc because of the ester linkage which gives enzymes an easier point of attack on the molecule. Look at Diesel Kleen products and follow their recommendations.

Is this product available to you?

Z1x3BwmcpEx_.JPG

I havent seen Clear Diesel here, but Hammerdown is quite popular. However, Hammerdown and most other additives which promises water to diappear does so by emulgating the into the diesel. But the water is still there and that is what I dont want into the fuel system. I then prefer the water to fall out in the water separators where I can drain it out. I have no reason to believe there are bacterias present. If I had I would use biocide poison to kill them and manually clean it out if severe.

Originally Posted By: mmosberg
... most other additives which promises water to disappear does so by emulsifying the into the diesel.
But the water is still there and that is what I don't want into the fuel system.
I then prefer the water to fall out in the water separators where I can drain it out.

I also believe products that force the water out of emulsification are best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back