Cardone core policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone sent in calipers for the Cardone core return? Their official core policy states rust will disqualify a caliper, but I find that ridiculous since calipers being replaced are probably going to be rusty regardless of why it's being replaced.

https://www.cardone.com/docs/default-source/core-policies/core-policy---calipers.pdf?sfvrsn=6

They state no core credit for: "Castings that are worn, broken, scored, damaged, cracked, frozen or rusted." Their policy makes no mention of "excessive rust" or "pitting", it literally just says "Rust" on that picture and the caliper they show as having rusted looks rather tame. Other companies like Centric specify the degree to how rusty it has to be and show pictures where huge chunks are literally flaking off.

I don't want to pay $70 if they end up saying my core isn't good enough because it has surface rust on it or the piston has a little surface rust on it. Also if I don't disassemble it, what if it has rust inside the caliper bore or on the sealing portions of the piston? Seems like a huge gamble.

Cardone reused a lot of parts on their reman calipers- including pistons and rubber hardware. That is why they are so strict with their core policy.

Quote:
Buy a different brand then.
I was looking for experiences with the Cardone core policy, but thanks.

Quote:
first time i have seen this. i buy from the AZ and ORily and they never even looked at the caliper cores i returned.

I might call RockAuto and ask since I'd be returning the core to them. I remember seeing a page on RockAuto that said they don't care if the calipers are a little rusted but then seeing this from Cardone makes me wonder. I might also go Powerstop since I can get that without a core at all even though it's a little more pricy.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
first time i have seen this. i buy from the AZ and ORily and they never even looked at the caliper cores i returned.

I agree with the above statement.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I wouldn't waste my time with any Cardone parts.

Yeah, they're not exactly high quality. I got a master cylinder from them before and swapped it with another one because it didn't fit. The second one didn't fit either. Went back and was going to swap it for another one, but checked it first, but it wouldn't fit either. I guess they make a copy and the mold they use wasn't very good so all the parts they had were slightly off. It wasn't just one defective part, their entire copy of it was defective. Got a different brand and it was fine.

Most parts stores' house brand calipers are Cardone remans, and they are not that picky at all about the cores. The most recent calipers I purchased were Napa Eclipse, which are Cardone Ultras except the coating is black instead of silver. My cores were rusty, but Napa took them with no problems
smile.gif

Don't waste your time with cardone. I've gotten several reman parts from them over the years and have had nothing but problems. Ended up having to replace the cardone parts with a reputable brand. I was especially mad when the impeller shaft in my power steering pump snapped in half going down the interstate. Good times.

I agree with the others: Don't use Cardone. Even their Cardone Select line, which is supposed to be NEW parts is not a quality part. Everytime I used a Cardone part it was always something wrong. Heck I went thru 3 power steering pumps until 1 finally worked correctly only to fail a year later anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back