Mazda Thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

Yesterday I tried to replace the thermostat on an 07 Mzada 6.

I'm not seeing any activity on the Mazda boards - so hoping someone here can help.

I cannot figure out how to reach the lower bolt on the thermostat body. (I have now lost the bolt in the engine bay - which is another issue).

It can be reached from underneath, but I can't get a wrench on it. From the front you can barely touch it with an extension, but you can't see the hole to line it up. I've tried lining it up from below and then back up front to turn the extension. Each time I drop the bolt, or knock it out of the hole.

Is there a way to "stick" a bolt in a socket so I can line it up and get it started? I tried using grease which almost worked. I figure there is a mechanic trick out there....

Easiest way is to get a socket with a magnetic insert, never fails. Another way is to put a piece of shop paper towel in the socket ,and jam the fastener in the socket.

man...why didn't I think of that....

I am going to get some wobble extensions just because...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is this on the 4 cylinder or v6?

sorry man, that would have been helpful right?

I'm good to go. I found the bolt and was able to reach it with an extension using the tips provided.

So far no leaks and the serpentine belt has not fallen off! Hopefully I can get the splash guards back on.

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
There are different ways to get the bolt in there to get it started. One way is by using super long nose pliers. Another way is to drop it in there with a telescopic magnet. Once the bolt is dropped in the hole and a couple of threads started, you can finish it up with a super long 1/4 drive extension and a swivel socket on the end. The long extension and swivel socket lets you go in at an angle to clear obstructions.

Thanks guys. This made me realize I need a better assortment of extensions.

This is the second or third time now I have busted myself up trying to reach something. Should I invest in some wobble extensions? I have a couple swivel tools, but it always seems that they swivel the wrong way.

Just in case anyone is interested - I also dislodged the bottom radiator hose just enough to contact the fan. Nice noise there when the fan kicked on. After sorting that, there must a been a large air bubble because the temp shot way up on my drive around the block. (Like s-my pants / shut down hot). Heat stopped working also. After cooling down, it finally pulled a little fluid from the expansion tank. My second lap was a little better but still too hot. I think it is ok now, but for a while the heat was off and on.

About two quarts of fluid came out - I must have misjudged how much spilled out of the pan, because even with over 2 quarts replaced, I nearly cooked my engine.

Live and learn.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Get the impact swivels. Matco makes the best. Not the ujoint ones.

Matco's pinless impact swivel sockets are the bomb!! Also pretty good and not too expensive is the adv line of magnetic impact sockets. I love the set I have in 1/4 , life savers on many jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back