ATF for 2013 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice,

I just bought a new to me 2013 2.5 Mazda 3 Hatchback with Automatic Transmission (I believe it is a 5-speed).

It currently has 96,000 KM.

I am sure the ATF has never been changed and would like to do it if is best for the vehicle.

What ATF works best on this transmission, based on your experience?.

I have used Valvoline Maxlife on a Jetta with Aisin transmission previously with good results.

Thank you all for any support you can provide.

What's wrong with the original PROPERLY Spec'd oil from Mazda? Swing by the dealership and get some oil. Why put in aftermarket fluid?

How do you plan on changing it? Simple drain n fill? Multiple drain n fills like Mazda recommends? Or a proper fluid exchange via radiator hose?

I recently serviced a 2004 Mazda RX-8 with 4 speed auto and the transmission pan had no drain bolt. Mazda requires dropping the pan. About 3 quarts came out, along with two (2) VERY DIRTY oil pan magnets.

Upon re-installation, I proceeded to flush the rest of the old transmission fluid out via return radiator line, pumping 1 quart at a time and pouring in a new one. An additional 7 quarts of new fluid went in before I started seeing fresh fluid come out of the hose... just saying.

Transmissions shifts MUCH smoother. Sometimes can't even feel it. Money and effort paid off. 125k miles on the clock.

I believe the only fluid approved for that vehicle is Mazda OE fluid. A local Mazda3 owner here recently had a trans flush done at a quick lube, the trans then started making some noise, Mazda denied the warranty claim because non OE fluid was used.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the OEM fluid.

In Mexico OEM fluid is usually very overpriced as are synthetics oils in general, sometimes more than 2X the cost in the US from the posts i have seen here.

If no aftermarket fluid has record of working well in this trans then i will go with the OEM fluid, just looking for advice in order to not pay more than i should if an aftermarket one works well.

I plan on doing a drain n fill, if i do that i will need about 3 quarts as you mentioned below?.

Thank you for you reply.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I believe the only fluid approved for that vehicle is Mazda OE fluid. A local Mazda3 owner here recently had a trans flush done at a quick lube, the trans then started making some noise, Mazda denied the warranty claim because non OE fluid was used.

Very much this....I had a flush done at a quickie lube and they used the generic stuff. Needed a rebuild at about 70k.

I would only use the Mazda stuff and just do a drain and fill (no flush). Do it a couple times if you are paranoid.

It has nothing to do with being paranoid. It's a matter of doing the maintenance work Properly, vs halfassed. Major difference between the two.

Say you had the option of two identical cars @ 150k miles. One went to get ALL FLUIDS changed at the dealership with OE spec fluid. The second went to a quick lube place to get all fluids changed with no name juice from a barrel.

Which would you say has more value just based on the quality of the fluids used?
Safe to say the car with original fluids designed and tested on your particular model is far better then using generic one size fits all fluid.

Originally Posted By: knoas
If no aftermarket fluid has record of working well in this trans then i will go with the OEM fluid, just looking for advice in order to not pay more than i should if an aftermarket one works well.

I plan on doing a drain n fill, if i do that i will need about 3 quarts as you mentioned below?.

Thank you for you reply.

What's the total transmission fluid capacity? I'm willing to bet that you'll be mixing 3 quarts of new fluid with 6 quarts of old fluid, effectively diluting the transmission fluid to ONLY roughly 30% of the oil replaced. I mean, sure that's better then no oil replaced but it still falls far behind being considered a proper transmission oil change, to where you can expect another 60k worth of trouble free use before the color starts going dark on the dipstick.

My 98 Camry can go 100k on the Mobil 1 Synthetic transmission fluid it has been flushed with for 250k miles now since new. Transmission shifts smooth, doesn't leak oil, and fluid stays bright red for YEARS. The car always got a full fluid exchange via radiator return line. 10 quarts oil change. I buy it when it's on sale ahead of time.

Thank you all for your replies..

Based on the general consensus then i will go and quote the price for the OE fluid and prepare to get it done ASAP.

I will get the drain and fill done at an independent place but i will make sure to use the OE fluid.

Have a great day!

I exchanged the ATF in my 06 Mazda 3 at about 20k miles with Castrol Import Multivehicle ATF, which meets Mazda MV fluid specification (not to be confused with Mecron V). At about 60k miles I exchanged Castrol ATF with Petro Canada Synthetic multi vehicle ATF, again it met the MV specification. The car has a bit over 150k miles now with absolutely no issues.

If a multi vehicle ATF, that meets Mazda MV spec, is used, there should be no problems.

Originally Posted By: knoas
Thank you all for your replies..

Based on the general consensus then i will go and quote the price for the OE fluid and prepare to get it done ASAP.

I will get the drain and fill done at an independent place but i will make sure to use the OE fluid.

Have a great day!

Good choice on the OEM spec fluid. You just can't go wrong with it.

You can get Idemitsu Mazda Type M off Ebay pretty cheap. Been using it for years.

You can also go to a Ford dealer and get the Ford FNR5 fluid, which is the exact same thing as the Mazda M-V fluid.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I exchanged the ATF in my 06 Mazda 3 at about 20k miles with Castrol Import Multivehicle ATF, which meets Mazda MV fluid specification (not to be confused with Mecron V). At about 60k miles I exchanged Castrol ATF with Petro Canada Synthetic multi vehicle ATF, again it met the MV specification. The car has a bit over 150k miles now with absolutely no issues.

If a multi vehicle ATF, that meets Mazda MV spec, is used, there should be no problems.

I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid in my 98 Camry since first oil change when New. 280k miles and shifts like a dream. 60-80k oil changes.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with aftermarket Lube. It just makes more sense to use OE oil for peace of mind knowing the specs are designed to work with YOUR transmission.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF is suitable for Mazda transmissions that use Mazda M-V fluid, according to Valoline's data sheet MaxLife ATF Data Sheet . My anecdote: I use MaxLife in my Toyota Camry's automatic transmission, and have for the last 150K miles (the car has 264K miles on it), and it works fine.
I'd do a pan drop, change the transmission filter, clean the magnet(s), refill with MaxLife, and drive on. Or you can spend more money, to little probable positive effect, by only buying the proprietary OEM fluid, as Artem suggests.

Last edited:
Once again thank you guys..

Reading BITOG has certainly changed my maintenance routines and knowledge.

I read the forum everyday
grin.gif

Seems we all agree that using the correct spec oil is what matters most.

I think the OP has a choice to make here... in the effort of saving money and having the lowest cost of ownership, I guess the smart thing to do would be to use a high quality alternative, if the OEM Mazda oil is literally 2x the cost of generic oil at the auto parts store down there in Mexico where the OP is located.

Save some cash and do a quick drain n fill using easy to find, cheap local oil that meets required spec.
thumbsup2.gif

Wow, lots of bad advice given so far. Mazda SkyActive trannys use FZ fluid. OE is made by Idemetsu and the only aftermarket I've seen is Ravenol. It's blue to be easily identified.

Mazda calls it a lifetime fluid but are nice enough to provide a drain plug and dipstick. Service fill is 3.3-4.9qts iirc.

If you don't have a SkyActiv Mazda please disregard my spewing.

I bought some at my dealer for $14.89/qt which is lower than Amazon but ymmv. Another dealer quoted $26/qt.

Quote:

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with aftermarket Lube.

But you did, you called it half arsed.

No one is talking about no name juice from a quick lube place; I see you are not running DexIII in your Camry, but M1 ATF; aren't other options available to the OP'r?

I'm all for recommending the OEM in this case, but it would be nice for alternatives to be more properly represented as viable rather than FUD; OEM for the OP'rs peace of mind.

edit; my apologies; i see we basically agree from your subsequent post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back