Ford Escape Rear Diff Fill Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's manual on my '08 Ford Escape AWD states to fill the rear diff "to 1/4 inch to 9/16 inch below bottom of fill hole." So, if I fill until it comes out the hole is it overfilled and I need to take some out?

If it already leaks some, I would just leave it in there, and the leak will bring it to the proper level soon enough. Just take longer till you have to add again.

Just fill until you can reach it with your pinky finger. If it's overfilled, put a drip pan under it, grab a beer, and wait for it to stop dripping

(or siphon some out)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Just fill until you can reach it with your pinky finger. If it's overfilled, put a drip pan under it, grab a beer, and wait for it to stop dripping

(or siphon some out)

^ This. Stick your finger in there, you will have to bend your finger to fit it in the hole, when you feel the tip of your finger is wetted by the lubricant level, stop filling.

Next time you think of it, go to a Veterinary Supply vendor, buy some honkin' syringes (you don't need the needles, although they can come in handy, especially if you need to glue something tricky) and some tubing to fit the end, and you can remove lubricants that are over-filled in pretty much any area of the vehicle, reasonably quickly.

You can get syringes designed for the purpose at automotive stores or woodworking supply shops as well, but they are a) more expensive and b) not as well made (tend to leak past the plunger).

Originally Posted By: Oscar_Ruitt
The owner's manual on my '08 Ford Escape AWD states to fill the rear diff "to 1/4 inch to 9/16 inch below bottom of fill hole." So, if I fill until it comes out the hole is it overfilled and I need to take some out?

I would've intentionally filled it to the brim ...... in particular in rear differentials.
It is overfilled indeed, but I don't see it as posing problem. OTOH, I see some 'slight' advantage in 'slight' oil quantity/volume increase within differential housing.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Oscar_Ruitt

I would've intentionally filled it to the brim ...... in particular in rear differentials.
It is overfilled indeed, but I don't see it as posing problem. OTOH, I see some 'slight' advantage in 'slight' oil quantity/volume increase within differential housing.

Won't make any difference. The oil will get picked up, slung around and everything will be fine. As long as you can feel the level in there with your finger, you are fine.Don't make a science project out of it.

Last edited:
It's sounds, based on your description, to be a bit full. Drain some out and use the pinky method stated above and you'll be fine.

Diff's aren't as particular about over filling like a transmission, brake, or power steering system.

Originally Posted By: old1
If it already leaks some, I would just leave it in there, and the leak will bring it to the proper level soon enough. Just take longer till you have to add again.

+1 Just make sure the vehicle is on level ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back