What's going on in the virgin islands right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fci402ew36lz.jpg

e871cee6-49db-4a0c-a9fe-e5b2210efb49.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
What's going on in the virgin islands right now?

It's a disaster area, having been hit by a significant hurricane.

The reports of crime seem to be sporadic, but internet alarmists on the mainland have been sharing them with the assumption that it's the overall situation.

The governor used an old form letter to activate the national guard.

It's probably best to wait for good evidence of civil unrest or government thugs before sharing it on social media. The "fake news" crowd gets empowered when anecdotes like this text message are shared without any way to verify the source or information.

Side note and PSA

If a hurricane is headed through your area, please evacuate, and do it early. Searching for people that need to be rescued slows down recovery efforts significantly.

I'm sorry but why would they be worried about the Wifi?

Unless that text came from a know source, family or friend, I would consider it possibly fake news.

I apologise if that opinion offends

Hope all those involved get the help they need, I know the Met Police are sending out a Team to assist.

1. Seems like FAKE NEWS.
2. MRE's are government property. Probably would be for the police and line works since YOU WERE TOLD TO EVACUATE!
3. The power company cut the fiber optic line? Ummmmm HIGHLY doubt that.
4. If power is out and fiber optic lines, I would really bet that cell towers would be out too.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
1. Seems like FAKE NEWS.
2. MRE's are government property. Probably would be for the police and line works since YOU WERE TOLD TO EVACUATE!
4. If power is out and fiber optic lines, I would really bet that cell towers would be out too.

Where is a poor person from St John or St Thomas supposed to go and how are they supposed to pay for it? If tourists with resources were having a hard time getting away from their resorts, imagine if you lived hand to mouth in one of those places and needed to get away.

The last I saw from the resort on SJ where we got married was that they were evacuating all these guests to Puerto Rico after the storm and assessing damage. This was a place that was refusing to cancel reservations without a fee when it was pretty clear the USVI were likely to be in big trouble.

The lack of wifi(let's call it internet) would be a massive issue as communication and news ceases. Internet works without power as backup power exists for it. Power company likely damaged internet lines repairing electrical. Happens here too.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
For many of the residents on those islands, evacuation was impossible.

Yep. No where to go but hunker down.

Confiscate arms and ammunition? What happened to the arms and ammo the VI National Guard was issued. I've been in National Guard installations, there's usually about three times more weapons in on hand than people qualified to use them.

1. Seems like FAKE NEWS.
I would love to hear how 100,000 people who live on an ISLAND can evacuate.

I think the poster JrHz2 would give us the real deal as unfortunately his family stuck down there for the train wreck.

Hope they are well.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
1. Seems like FAKE NEWS.
I would love to hear how 100,000 people who live on an ISLAND can evacuate.
Boats? or could have gone further inland. These storms didn't just pop up over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back