Fram Ultra XG8A - 3 OCI & 25,000 miiles - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a 2010 Mazda 6 2.5L (Non-Skyactive)

25k miles on the filter, 3 oil changes. The oil filter was drained and re-filled with clean oil during each OCI. Oil used - M1 HM 10w-30.

The recommended filter size is 3614. However, 3600 and XG8A fit just fine - same gasket OD and bypass specs.

I opened the filter with a sharp chisel and a hammer. The can is made out of thin metal so it only took a minute. No need to spend money on a filter cutter for these. Otherwise, I used a hacksaw and pliers to rip out the metal mesh/filter media.

After making the first two cuts, I drained the remaining oil out of the side hole and it seemed much thicker/blacker than what came out of the oil pan. I guess the filter was doing its job of keeping the dirt on the dirty side.
21.gif

Enjoy
cheers3.gif

Nothing wrong with it that I can see. I just ripped it open to show the metal mesh and 2 layers of synthetic media. The black/brown contrast of the media shows how much dirt it is holding.

On a side note, I have not used synthetic oil in this car in a while 50k miles or so. 125k on ODO at this time.
I was not expecting the filter to be this dirty. I think the M1 did lots of cleaning and may have loaded the media as a result... the engine looks clean through the fill hole.

Originally Posted By: Dave424
I just ripped it open to show the metal mesh and 2 layers of synthetic media.

Now somebody is going to look at that and think the filter fell apart.

Did you take the filter off every time to drain it? You could have compromised the gasket unless you changed it every time you took the filter off.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Dave424
I just ripped it open to show the metal mesh and 2 layers of synthetic media.

Now somebody is going to look at that and think the filter fell apart.

Only if it was a Purolator instead.
laugh.gif

Great share. I feel like a fool...I just changed my Ultra at 9 months and 4,700 miles with my oil change...contemplated leaving on for next OCI but didn't. Those are amazing filters for sure. Thanks again for the share.

The gasket was fine, I inspected it every OCI.

At the bottom of the can there was gritty residue which makes me wonder if some of it made it back into the engine when the filter went into bypass mode. The residue at the bottom did not appear to be metallic. The car burned about 1 quart every OCI. With M1 HM the consumption was significantly less. I think M1 may have dissolved some of the carbon in the piston rings and got them unstuck? I don't know how else to explain these results... any ideas?

I think the filter can handle even more miles without tearing. However, once the media gets loaded with dirt and becomes more restrictive, more unfiltered oil will go through the bypass valve.

^^^ For those reasons it would have been better to run the filter 2x OCIs, and not disturb the filter. No real need to remove it to try and "flush it out", which probably did't do much anyway.

That filter did great for 25K miles. Fram Ultra filters are all I have in my stash now.

Because they are apparently up to the task. Because conservation. Because money. Because some filter changes send a stream of carcinogen down past your armpit. Because some people are getting old and it saves their back a little bit. Come on.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I can't honestly understand why anyone would run a filter for 25k.

Me either, but I enjoy reading about them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ For those reasons it would have been better to run the filter 2x OCIs, and not disturb the filter. No real need to remove it to try and "flush it out", which probably did't do much anyway.

I agree.

Wow, an XG8A is a 2X oversize...
If we keep praising the FU (and extending our OCIs) Fram might raise the price.....

I ran one over 24k and it was fine and no i would never take one off to check the gasket. No need to. Thanks for the pictures.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Because they are apparently up to the task. Because conservation. Because money. Because some filter changes send a stream of carcinogen down past your armpit. Because some people are getting old and it saves their back a little bit. Come on.
Because you don't like the car very much.

A car with a grossly oversized (8A vs 3614) Fram Ultra being run for multiple OCIs is better off than a car that has a generic rockcatcher filter changed religiously at a quick lube, let's say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back