1997 Honda Elite 80 scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 1997 Honda Elite 80.

What type of oil do I use in it?

Thanks Andy

thanks I am going to use Valvoline™ 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil.

Go to Honda.com and you can download the complete owners manual.

Is that air or water cooled?

Last edited:
These scoots hold very little oil.

The key is to change oil often....meaning, every 500-1000 miles. Believe me. If you do that, use just about anything you want. I run synthetic HDEO's in my scoots.....Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 5w40 TDT

You don't need to use more expensive motorcycle oil in a scooter..there is no wet clutch to be concerned with.

As someone else said, a scooter motor is like a lawnmower engine! ( assuming single cylinder, 4 stroke, air cooled)

Supertech 15w-40. Buy a gallon jug for ~$10 and have 5 oil changes on hand.
Convenient since as said, you need to change the oil frequently.

It is an air cooled 4 stroke motor that holds around 2/3 qt of oil.
Recommended oil is 10w-40, but the chart says you can use 10w-30, 10w-40, 20w-40 or even 20w-50.

There is no oil filter, just a oil screen. It is serviceable, but the engine and crankcase cover need to be removed to do it (but really is not that big of a deal). Not something to do every oil change, but if you just got it, I would do that.

Here is a .pdf copy of the service manual, it will give you tons of info on how to do stuff.

If you need a headlight, buy a new (2001+) housing, it has a replaceable bulb vs your current have to replace entire headlight housing with included bulb.

I had a friend that had one of these in 2005-2006 time frame. We trashed on that thing and it just kept going.
Fun little thing to put around on.
I have debated getting one for my daughter to ride to school (about 2 miles away, mostly through neighborhoods). Momma said no to that though...

like these alot yet haven't found one that met my criteria (late model, low-moderate mileage, clean, affordable)...most I find are really old & nasty or immaculate and overpriced; with that said...I would use a good 15w-40 hdeo most of the year & a good 10w-40 pcmo during colder months & winter storage...OCI's for me would be 750-1000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back