Proper method to apply dielectric grease...

Status
Not open for further replies.

prs

... to electrical connections. I know my technique, but I may be a self taught idiot. So, does one slather the grease onto the conductors and plastic, rubber connector surfaces? Or does one only apply the grease to the conductors? Or just to the surface of the male connecter?

My way is to only apply to the male connector's surface that goes into the female, thus sealing the joint. I do not get any on the conductor pins. But which is correct?

prs

This should be a good one. Dielectric grease stops the flow of electricity. Therefore, do not put it directly on the conductors.

Originally Posted By: leje0306
This should be a good one. Dielectric grease stops the flow of electricity. Therefore, do not put it directly on the conductors.

Huh? Most male and female connections make contact via friction. The connection will displace (scrape) away the grease; the grease will have zero effect on the connection. The benefit of dielectric grease, is that it will keep out moisture and prevent oxidation, allowing the contact to remain corrosion-free.

To the OP, it doesn't matter. I apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the female connector, so that the male will enter, the grease displaced, and a good seal formed.

no

lol My old boss put dielectric grease on the battery cables of his Semi, then it wouldn't start. He is a smart guy, but didn't realize just what dielectric meant. I had to clean the cables and explain to him what he did.

Yay! At last a rationale for copper-based anti seize.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Huh? Most male and female connections make contact via friction. The connection will displace (scrape) away the grease; the grease will have zero effect on the connection. The benefit of dielectric grease, is that it will keep out moisture and prevent oxidation, allowing the contact to remain corrosion-free.

To the OP, it doesn't matter. I apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the female connector, so that the male will enter, the grease displaced, and a good seal formed.
This ^ Friction and clamping force will remove the grease from contact points leaving it to seal around them.

Last edited:
Agree regarding friction and clamping force. This stuff has some number of volts/mil standoff of electricity. A connection has intimate contact, so effectively 0mil. So the conductivity is "infinite" (divide by zero), or in practice, no increase in resistance over surface asperities.

I watched the crc video. I suspect they just did what they do for effect... they put a LOT of grease in those connections, which would either glob out or cause the connector to pop back off.

Air is also a good insulator, but connectors still work in it because the mating surfaces push it out.
Same with the grease.

Since this thread is turning into false info about you shouldn't apply dielectric grease to electrical connectors, I'm going to nip this in the bud now.

Dielectric grease is designed specifically for electrical connections. It's purpose, to keep moisture and dirt out, It's a mechanical barrier. The reason it's used is if you were to use a conductive grease for electrical components, you would incur leakage current between electrical contacts, leading to electrolysis and corrosion. It keeps moisture out for the same reason. The stuff is designed specifically FOR electrical connections. Don't get hung up on the naming convention.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Since this thread is turning into false info about you shouldn't apply dielectric grease to electrical connectors, I'm going to nip this in the bud now.

Dielectric grease is designed specifically for electrical connections. It's purpose, to keep moisture and dirt out, It's a mechanical barrier. The reason it's used is if you were to use a conductive grease for electrical components, you would incur leakage current between electrical contacts, leading to electrolysis and corrosion. It keeps moisture out for the same reason. The stuff is designed specifically FOR electrical connections. Don't get hung up on the naming convention.

Finally some sanity.

Originally Posted By: AVB
lol My old boss put dielectric grease on the battery cables of his Semi, then it wouldn't start. He is a smart guy, but didn't realize just what dielectric meant. I had to clean the cables and explain to him what he did.

I've used dielectric grease on battery terminals for years and never had an issue.

For connectors like for engine sensors and such I would use Stabilant 22 intended to be placed directly on the metal contacts as it is a conduction enhancer but that does not cross conduct.

The pigtails on the wiring harness typically have a rubber gasket that seals out water and humidity.

For spark plugs I put the silicon grease onto the ceramic insulator of the plug that way it will only go on the sheath of the rubber plug boot and not glom up the metal-to-metal contact between plug's stud and the wire terminal. Silicon grease's job on spark plugs is only to condition and lubricate the rubber boot of the plug wire to prevent it from sticking too tenaciously to the ceramic of the spark plug. You don't want it on the electrical union.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

I've used dielectric grease on battery terminals for years and never had an issue.
He coated the lugs on the battery cables before bolting the ring terminals to the battery studs, causing the grease to be trapped between the terminals. It was a grease sandwich, there was no friction to scrape the grease off of the contact points. I believe that he thought dielectric would enhance the conduction and slathered it on.

He coated the lugs on the battery cables before bolting the ring terminals to the battery studs, causing the grease to be trapped between the terminals. It was a grease sandwich, there was no friction to scrape the grease off of the contact points. I believe that he thought dielectric would enhance the conduction and slathered it on.

Something was installed wrong in the first place. I do the same thing to my vehicles. Some of which had more current draw than any semi could manage (think 1500 amp range). Any corrosion or resistance there would give you some major hot spots and that was never the case

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Yay! At last a rationale for copper-based anti seize.

There have been numerous studies discussed here that have shown the presence of a dielectric grease on electrical terminals does not degrade current flow.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

Something was installed wrong in the first place. I do the same thing to my vehicles. Some of which had more current draw than any semi could manage (think 1500 amp range). Any corrosion or resistance there would give you some major hot spots and that was never the case
The only thing installed wrong was the grease. I didn't change anything but remove the grease. The cables were cleaned right before he applied the grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back