Glock Gen 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any Glock Gen 5 lovers here?
I have only owned 1 Glock (Gen 4 G17). I bought it Nov. 2016 and sold it Feb. 2017. Don't get me wrong now, I think the Glock is a very dependable firearm. But, it's not the firearm for me. I just can't get used to the grip ergonomics.
Anyway, the Gen 5 doesn't impress me at all. The frame is not beveled to the slides new beveled end. The ambi slide stop looks as if Glock notched the frame with a butter knife, or something similar. The 2 that I handled, one had night sights, the other one had the factory polymer sights. But, the front night sight was off center to the right and the polymer rear sight was off center to the left. The frame was also thinner than previous made Glock frames. The things that I did like was the new finish. It sort of looks like the original Gen 3's "fry pan" coating. I also like the no grooves grip. This grip actually feels like I can get used to it. The stippling is a nice touch as well. Last but not least, I really liked the trigger. I own a M&P 2.0 .40 cal. and I thought that it had the best factory trigger for a pistol. But, I think the Gen 5 has it beat.
When I returned home from the range I started surfing the interweb to see if there was anyone else that had the same issues with the Gen 5 as well. Ironically, there was someone that thought the same as me. Check out the video below.
To sum it up, I will not be buying a Glock Gen 5. For $575+ I think my money would be spent better on a SIG 320 (Even with a defective trigger), another M&P, or a LE trade in Gen 3 G23 (I will remove the finger grooves).

https://youtu.be/RgoQogAHCtk

The polymer pistol game is pretty boring to me now. I have always been an M&P fan for the ergonomics, but I do own a glock.

Nowadays its mostly about being Goldilocks and finding what fits you best.

Wake me up when they invent something very radical and new.. maybe something with 0 felt recoil but ballistics that match 9mm or 45.

Doesn't impress me. Id save up for two blocks and buy something good.

Or buy a G4 in any model.

The Sig Sauer is a beautiful firearm. Many PD's buy the Glocks because they are cheap. Glock's become a liability after 20,000 rounds, but the average person wouldn't shoot that. Of course; with proper maintenance this shouldn't occur. Nothing like a 1911....It all depends on the environment and application.

I want to know when they're going to make one that chambers FN's 5.7
I can't afford a $1000 pistol, but I can afford a $500 one.

20+ rounds of 5.7 in a lightweight package isn't something to turn your nose up at.
Just sayin.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I want to know when they're going to make one that chambers FN's 5.7
I can't afford a $1000 pistol, but I can afford a $500 one.

20+ rounds of 5.7 in a lightweight package isn't something to turn your nose up at.
Just sayin.

I would love to have a Glock in 5.7. I already have a Five-SeveN so this would be perfect.

I will scream from the roof tops how much I HATE those stupid finger grooves. I've been waiting for this gen 5 pistol for 20 years. I will buy several. Next year, after they have been out for a year. I never buy a new model.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I think the Glock is a very dependable firearm. But, it's not the firearm for me. I just can't get used to the grip ergonomics....

.....To sum it up, I will not be buying a Glock Gen 5.

https://youtu.be/RgoQogAHCtk

Kinda confused what your point is? Glock grip ergos don't work for you. Losing the finger grooves doesn't change the grip angle. Frame not beveled, sights not centered, sloppy cuts.... none of it matters since you don't like how it holds. Glock hasn't changed the grip angle on any previous gen, did you think they would now? Maybe you're trying to find a way to like Glocks but they just don't work out?

The "big deal" changes seem to be no finger grooves and traditional rifling. Neither are important enough to make me think about going to Gen 5 if I owned something previous. The finger grooves on a G19 never bothered me but I'd be curious what a G5 without them feels like.

Bubbatime, no wind where you are??

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Pajero
Glock's become a liability after 20,000 rounds, but the average person wouldn't shoot that.
And you base this on what?
I was going to ask the same question, but specifically, what in a Glock makes it a liability after 20K rounds? [sarcasm]I may need to toss one of my G19's then...[/sarcasm]

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Glock's become a liability after 20,000 rounds, but the average person wouldn't shoot that.
And you base this on what?
I was going to ask the same question, but specifically, what in a Glock makes it a liability after 20K rounds? [sarcasm]I may need to toss one of my G19's then...[/sarcasm]

Uh oh.. Guess mine's almost at the end of it's life

I have never been comfy with a G19 because of my large hands and the finger spacing. My G26 actually works better for me and I have a Gen2 G17 with no grooves already.
I did handle a new Gen 5 G19 at the shop and without the grooves it would work for me but I just don't need another pistol especially at there price of $650 with Glock night sights.

I have a total of 7 Gen 3 Glocks. And I have never understood what all the whining about finger grooves is all about? I have very large hands and long fingers. And when I pick any of them up, all of them fit perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing. It's the same with the grip angle everyone complains about. Along with how they, "point at the ceiling" when they aim them with their eyes closed. Open your eyes, and move your wrist. That's why the human arm has a wrist joint. These are service pistols for God sakes.... Not a pair of dress shoes.

If someone has done a lot of SD or combat training with a pistol with a more upright grip angle (1911) a Glock will point up when trying to get that double tap in 2 seconds from the holster at first. Your wrist is trained to a certain angle. Not a valid complaint when someone picks up a Glock and shoots 1 mag. Likewise going the other way and shooting low. If Glocks fit your large hands maybe it's people with small hands don't like them? Seem OK to my average hands.

I like the finger grooves but apparently they fit me and a lot of people they don't. Glock is married to the grip angle at this point, it's a glaring flaw IMO that is the result of being Gaston Glock's first weapon design ever. They are between a rock and a hard place between critics and fan boys they will never change it. It can be trained over without too much difficulty however.

I am not seeing much to excite me about Gen 5, but if you don't like the finger grooves there you go.

Even the reliable Toyotas of the 90s are a liability after 200,000 miles, but the average person wouldn't buy one in that shape.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am not seeing much to excite me about Gen 5...
Same for me. It is relegated to be a 9x19 only (due to the weaker locking block and removal of the second pin) and although 9x19 is one of the cartidges that I shoot (a lot), there is nothing the G5 has that is "better" than any of my G4 pistols. The redesigned safety plunger likely makes the trigger feel crisper, but I am guessing it is a matter of time (if they do not already exist) before the aftermarket has them for the G4 and earlier pistols. I never shoot non-jacketed bullets, so the loss of the polygonal rifling means nothing to me neither do any of the other "improvements".

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am not seeing much to excite me about Gen 5...
Same for me. It is relegated to be a 9x19 only (due to the weaker locking block and removal of the second pin) and although 9x19 is one of the cartidges that I shoot (a lot), there is nothing the G5 has that is "better" than any of my G4 pistols. The redesigned safety plunger likely makes the trigger feel crisper, but I am guessing it is a matter of time (if they do not already exist) before the aftermarket has them for the G4 and earlier pistols. I never shoot non-jacketed bullets, so the loss of the polygonal rifling means nothing to me neither do any of the other "improvements".

Well said. And I also agree. Gen 5 equates to a sales gimmick, and a nothing burger. Let's be honest. Aside from a very few handloaders trying to save a couple of cents a round, when is the last time you saw anyone shooting lead bullets in a 9 MM? These aren't "improvements". They are changes. Changes translate into sales. At least for some. I like the finger grooves, the grip angle, and the polygonal rifling. So there is absolutely nothing to draw money out of my wallet for a Gen 5 Glock.

Let's be honest. Aside from a very few handloaders trying to save a couple of cents a round, when is the last time you saw anyone shooting lead bullets in a 9 MM?
I fully agree! I see a few talking smack in the forums about melting lead weights and the like to shoot cast bullets, but I simply roll my eyes at that as that seems to be more of a chest thumping exercise than an actual benefit. The only guns I have shot cast bullets in are my revolvers and even then I do not go out of my way to use them. I would not use cast bullets in any semi-automatic pistol simply because I want to shoot my hand loads at the same velocity (or slightly higher) than factory bullets. I do not relish the idea of having to scrub my bores to remove the lead fouling--it is simply not worth it to me. With that said, for anyone who wants a G5 I am all for it, each gun fits a person in a slightly different way, BUT the G5 is certainly not an evolution nor is it likely to be a revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back