Linux Lite [sic] 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux Lite 3.6 is a lightweight linux distribution based on Ubuntu; years ago I tried it and abandoned it since the encrypted LVM portion of the installer was broken; I use encrypted volumes on my home machines to facilitate HD disposal and on my laptop to protect my info should my LT get stolen.

LL uses the XFCE window manager and can operate with as little as 512Mb; I booted, logged in and the memory usage was 300Mb.

This recent release is based on an LTS version of ubuntu; suggested looking at it for 8+ year old machines of core2duo vintage.

I will mention that 'only' the window manager is lightweight; the usual full featured apps are loaded such as LibreOffice, Thunderbird. This is a good mix since scant resources go to the apps, not the WM. I have no interest in apps like AbiWord; if I have to use apps like that I'd rather throw the computer away.

Last edited:
Cool. I have an old Intel Atom based netbook that would probably be a good candidate for it. Now, if I could only remember where I stashed it...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Cool. I have an old Intel Atom based netbook that would probably be a good candidate for it. Now, if I could only remember where I stashed it...
smile.gif

I traded mine in for a 75$ bestbuy gift card
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

I traded mine in for a 75$ bestbuy gift card
smile.gif

Do they still buy them?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Would this run on a Raspberry Pi ?

Thanks , :)

There are Raspberry-specific spins of a few distros. Raspian, based off Debian, is the most widely used as I recall. I thought it used XFCE but could very well be wrong.

If I want to install this on an old laptop which already has an old Ubuntu (Natty Narwhal?)version on it, how do I get to the BIOS to change boot order to start from CD/DVD drive?
Is it the same before when it was a Windows XP machine? Just hit F8 (ot whatever key) repeatedly during startup?

Or can I just DL and burn the ISO and just run it from DVD drive?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
How does it compare to xubuntu?

I think Lite is intended to minimize the learning curve for those coming from Windows and the developers make a point of tuning things to minimize resource usage. Otherwise I'd bet the underlying technologies and included applications are darn-near identical.

I d/l the iso file & used Nero to burn it to a DVD . Using a PC .

Can not get it to boot . Help , please ?

did you burn it using the "burn an iso" feature?

This is different than just burning the ISO file using the DVD as a data disk. If you see the .iso file on the DVD you burned it incorrectly.

You need to go into the BIOS to change the boot order, placing the DVD first or there should be a "F" key to choose a boot device

I am going to sleep now.

You'd be better off just running Xubuntu. It is a fully supported ubuntu version packaged with XFCE.

I d/l'ed Linux Lite 3.6 and tried to use it on my PC . Never got any sort Linux of start up screen , but it messed up Win 10 to the point I had to do a system restore .

Puzzled ?

Thanks , :-_)

Did you ever figure out how to boot from the DVD? You said you hit F8 but never indicated what that did or didn't do.

If it didn't boot linux, not sure how it could have messed up your W10 install, unless it was booting Windows and you powered it off while it was booting.

What make and model machine do you have?

Never got the Linux to boot . Running a Lenovo PC , 2 - 3 years old on Win 10 .

Do not know what happened or did not happen . Thinking about tossing the DVD .

Thanks , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back