Ford Easy Fill Capless fuel filler

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Looking for some options here to install a gas cap on my 2011 and 2014 Fords. Both have the same style capless fuel filler, and believe its the earlier version. Just the flapper inside the large recessed opening, no flat cover like later models. Would like to put a cap on each to prevent dirt/grit/crud. 95k on my F150 with no problems but at 80k the Explorer is having some EVAP leaks. Did the compressed air -> funnel bang trick but want to prevent further issues.

I see the FoMoCo locking plug, but I don't need to carry any more keys and the wife would just...not like it. Are there any snap in designs?

Originally Posted By: buck91
So Looking for some options here to install a gas cap on my 2011 and 2014 Fords. Both have the same style capless fuel filler, and believe its the earlier version. Just the flapper inside the large recessed opening, no flat cover like later models. Would like to put a cap on each to prevent dirt/grit/crud. 95k on my F150 with no problems but at 80k the Explorer is having some EVAP leaks. Did the compressed air -> funnel bang trick but want to prevent further issues.

I see the FoMoCo locking plug, but I don't need to carry any more keys and the wife would just...not like it. Are there any snap in designs?

I bought one of those Ford locking plugs for my specific model- would not fit- not at all ;(

I've had a genuine Ford locking cap on my 2015 Focus since day one. Fits and works perfectly. But yeah, it's got a key. I leave the key in the center console - it never leaves the car.

I have a locking plug on my Mustang. It fits perfect. There is none offered for my mom's 2014 Fusion however. The capless fill was a solution in search of a problem IMHO.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The capless fill was a solution in search of a problem IMHO.

I agree, but with no facts to back up my argument, at least not yet.
My employer has a fleet of about 10 trucks, all Ford, and about half of them have this. These truck are used in some seriously dusty conditions, but we haven't needed a fuel filter or injector change yet on these vehicles.
IMO, the only advantage you have to these "capless" cars is that you'll never forget or misplace your gas cap.

It was reported that the capless system stopped people from putting diesel into the gasoline cars which was a problem in some countries. Had a locking Ford plug/cap on my 2010 Fusion and it worked fine.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The capless fill was a solution in search of a problem IMHO.

Bingo, another useless better idea.

Stant tried this idea with the instant Fill cap,and Kleenwheels did one as the "Permacap".Both poorly executed and broke nearly instantly many report.Both are discontinued.

GM has started using this too.

I have sold one capless filler neck, I think it was on a Malibu rental car. Not really sure what went wrong, but I remember it being under warranty. It's not common for us though...yet.

I also had someone with a new Colorado call wanting a locking cap for it. They said someone had been siphoning gas from the truck. I'd figure the filler neck would have some sort of anti-siphon design, but maybe not, or maybe it's not good enough. That has so far been a one off complaint though.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
It was reported that the capless system stopped people from putting diesel into the gasoline cars which was a problem in some countries. Had a locking Ford plug/cap on my 2010 Fusion and it worked fine.

Can't do it in the US b/c the unleaded nozzle is smaller by law and there's supposed to be a restrictor that keeps bigger nozzles out.

I always figured it was "because NASCAR".

Honda is starting to put this on their vehicles as well. The 2017 CRV has it. I'm not sure what is gained here? Easy use for the driver?

Eh, the DIY cleaning/lubing didn't work. Popping a code for a gross EVAP leak. Seems the Easy Fill neck is most likely but definitely not for sure. Any thoughts?

I have the capless filler on my Jeep, it is nice not dealing with the cap. The door has a gasket that has kept the inside clean so I see no need for a cap.

I have the Ford locking plug on my 2014 Mustang GT. As much dirt and grime that I see accumulating on the caps of my vehicles that have caps, I didn't want that stuff building up inside the filler neck of the Mustang. Mine fits perfect.

Wayne

My Jeep has a gasket around the fuel door, I can eat off it inside. It's not a huge ordeal, but it is nice not to deal with the cap when refueling.

Sounds like the viable choices are key or duct tape ... mine are never as filthy as the GMC - so thinking where you drive is a big factor. Guess I might look at the lids regardless- they could of made them seal better.

Last edited:
My MKZ has the capless filler-all I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers it a solution in search of a problem.

BTW, has anyone tried putting a gas can or funnel in the FoMoCo system? I've found that I can't get the infernal modern "spill proof" cans I've used to work at all. The few times I've used a can, I ended up working a funnel down into it and pouring into that. Even getting a funnel in requires pressing the two buttons on either side of the filler at the same time while also pressing down on the flap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back