Dell Inspiron 15.6 Gaming or HP Omen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a new laptop for the family. I normally buy gaming laptops since I prefer beefier components. My 9 & 5 year olds will probably play some educational games on it while I might do an occasional game like battlefield. This will be the only computer in our house so it will have to perform all the other duties of a normal laptop.

I'm wanting to stay below the $1,000 threshold. Wondering if anyone has any experience/input with this, or other comparable models.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Costco you can get a 17.3 inch screen with the Intel I7 chip and 16 Gig of ram for about $200 less than your threshold price. Oh and with a two year warranty.

Recently did a lot of research on purchasing a new gaming laptop on a budget. Ended up with the Acer Predator 300 for $1050 on Amazon. Great CPU and GPU; in fact no other machine in this price range seemed to compare. Small storage capacity but it is SSD, and VERY easy to add another HDD/SSD. Some people complain about the screen, looks amazing to me! Also, tends to run hot, can easily cruise at 70-80C during gaming with dual fans set at max. Have a nice cooling pad coming on Monday to try out.

Very happy with this machine! Much better battery life than my old laptop. Amazing gaming performance. Running Doom 2016 as well as Skyrim Remastered on the highest graphics settings without any troubles. Speakers sound very nice for a laptop but of course can't compare to a nice system or headset.

Just to expand, it is running the i7-7700 CPU, which isn't that hard to find in this price range. The real kicker seems to me the GPU. Its the GTX 1060, which is a pivotal step above the 1050 (at least going by the various benchmark sites as the reviews I could find).

Last edited:
Sounds like buck91 has done the homework, knows what he's talking about, and has firsthand experience. I'd also point you to pcworld and pcmag reviews.

If you can live with not moving it around i would go for a refurbished desktop. If everyone in the family is going to be using it a laptop will probably wear out fast. Plus you can get really good refurb desktops for dirt cheap these days.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Recently did a lot of research on purchasing a new gaming laptop on a budget. Ended up with the Acer Predator 300 for $1050 on Amazon. Great CPU and GPU; in fact no other machine in this price range seemed to compare. Small storage capacity but it is SSD, and VERY easy to add another HDD/SSD. Some people complain about the screen, looks amazing to me! Also, tends to run hot, can easily cruise at 70-80C during gaming with dual fans set at max. Have a nice cooling pad coming on Monday to try out.

Very happy with this machine! Much better battery life than my old laptop. Amazing gaming performance. Running Doom 2016 as well as Skyrim Remastered on the highest graphics settings without any troubles. Speakers sound very nice for a laptop but of course can't compare to a nice system or headset.

Just to expand, it is running the i7-7700 CPU, which isn't that hard to find in this price range. The real kicker seems to me the GPU. Its the GTX 1060, which is a pivotal step above the 1050 (at least going by the various benchmark sites as the reviews I could find).

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back