16 Hyundai Elantra GT Burning Oil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else with an Elantra GT experience oil consumption? I use Amsoil 5W20 & change it every 7.5K. Last OCI I added 1/2 quart, 3/4 quart so far thru 4K. Nevertheless, I thinking of using 5W30 next OCI. BTW, my car has 22K.
TY

Yes, Hyundai is very lenient on oil viscosity. My Elantra allows for 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30.

Button, I might try a different brand of oil for an oil change. Maybe a different brand would slow down/stop the consumption?

A lot of those 5W-30's seem to be getting the focus from the oil manufacturers. Since you live in Georgia, it might not hurt to try a good spec 5W-30 and see what happens

I'd agree with the idea of trying a different brand of oil in 5w-30 if that's what you'd like to try. Although Hyundai is not particularly strict with oil grades for most of their cars...just from my experience, I'd try a good off the shelf brand versus Amsoil. I mainly use PP and QSUD and have found that they seem to work well in Hyundai vehicles. YMMV.

Does your use oil too?
Originally Posted By: JustN89
Yes, Hyundai is very lenient on oil viscosity. My Elantra allows for 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30.

Button, I might try a different brand of oil for an oil change. Maybe a different brand would slow down/stop the consumption?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Button
Does your use oil too?
Originally Posted By: JustN89

Just hit 11,000 miles and no, mine doesn't use a drop. So far I've used different brands at each oil change, all 5W-30. I dumped the factory fill and put in QSUD. No complaints there. It held up pretty well over the short interval. 3k miles later that was dumped in favor of PUPPP. I liked it until it hit the 3k mile mark and then I started getting chatter at start up. Dumped it and now have Schaeffer 9000 5W-30. So far, so good. However, I knew their 5W-20 was API certified but I didn't realize their 5W-30 wasn't until I had already purchased it. Not sure if I'll keep going with it, but the oil has held up pretty well over the last 1k miles.

Totally different engine, but the 2L in my Soul is quieter and uses less oil on 10W-30.

I Georgia, using 10W-30 year-round would be a good move, and still warranty-approved.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Skip over 5W-30 and go straight to 10W-30.

+1
... or up a grade or two to 0/5/10W40 .

I'd try a 5k run on 5W-30 dino to encourage ring seating. Even SuperTech will be fine. Then go back to your Amsoil and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Button
Hyundai says 1 Quart per 1 K is acceptable

LOL you know I was considering a Hyundai at one time but the fact is that's B. S. Hyundai you lose!

It was the same with Subaru's too. Everyone I've owned, always burned oil. I was hoping my Hyundai would be different. Hopefully, 5W30 will help.

Are the ones using oil DI? Mine uses no measurable oil in a 7500 mile oci. Mine is MFI. I would be interested in whether fuel dilution is at play here.

We've had 3 Hyundais, all bought new. 2004 Elantra, 2013 Elantra GT, and a 2016 Tucson 1.6L. Not one of them had burned or is burning, a drop of oil. 1 quart per 1,000 miles sounds insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back