Tires for work truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some new A/T tires for 2013 F150 work truck with a mix of highway and city town driving 4x4 often in winter and needs to be great in rain. Looking at Cooper AT3 and Firestone Destination AT both in (LT). Any preference?

I can't comment on those two but I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the've been great. They have the snowflake rating and are not loud on the highway. Picked up mine at discount tire direct.

Got at3 on 3 trucks ride good and seem to handle wet weather good, that s been my experience price is reasonable as well.

coopers hands down. don't rule out the cooper ATP's.
also worth the look, Goodyear adventure.

I have both of those on trucks at work and they both seem good. I would also look at whatever the latest iteration of Michelin LTX is called.

The Firestones are on an F350 that pulls heavy trailers often and the Coopers are on an F250 service truck that is constantly overloaded.

Both of your choices rate as having only fair wet braking performance according to Consumers Union. The Cooper is rated excellent at hydroplane resistance while the Firestone is a notch below it at very good.

There are better choices if you emphasize on snow traction. 4X4 means squat when turning and braking. I'd choose the Coopers myself and get ones without raised white letters if possible.

I know its not one of the ones on your list, but we use BFG AT radials on 250-level work trucks heavily loaded... With great success.

what size do you need?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I know its not one of the ones on your list, but we use BFG AT radials on 250-level work trucks heavily loaded... With great success.

I used to run BFG ATs on my work trucks. For street use, hands down the best, IMO. Off road, not so much.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
what size do you need?
smile.gif

Off hand I forget the size and I forgot to look when I left work on Friday... I am in charge of all the basic maintenance on several trucks and work cars like tires, oil changes, stuff like that.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Need some new A/T tires for 2013 F150 work truck with a mix of highway and city town driving 4x4 often in winter and needs to be great in rain. Looking at Cooper AT3 and Firestone Destination AT both in (LT). Any preference?

Coopers are supposed to be very good, but wear quickly. Not so positive about the Firestones.

Here's an alternative you may want to consider: Goodyear Duratrac, which I'm considering for my next tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...odClar=SuperCab

I, my FIL, and my boss have Transforce AT's on our trucks - an '85 1-ton, '03 1500HD, and '00 K2500 respectively, all of which I maintain. I can't give any precise longevity stats or say that they're the best for outright wet traction, but I'm pleased with their performance in every circumstance I've put them in.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

What was Ford's fitment (from the door label)? Why LT on a 150? Do you enjoy the poorer fuel economy and louder road noise?

Or perhaps it is the heavy duty package with LT from the factory.

My suggestion is the Cooper Discoverer AT/W, basically the AT/3 with more siping and a slightly softer compound but they still have a 50k mile warranty.

Fwiw a friend of mine has had General Grabber AT2's and the Cooper AT3's on his 2010 F150. He says he'd buy the Generals again but not the Coopers.

I have the General AT2 on my 12 F150 currently. Very good off road and snow traction for an AT tire. Not very noisy, seem to have decent tread wear(at 30k now and 7/32 tread remains) but they throw rocks like crazy if you drive a lot of gravel roads.

I see the Coopers a lot but wouldn't run them as they don't have a rim bead protector lip.

Maybe Nitto Terra Grapplers? They come in LT sizes. I've had 4 sets on different vehices, my Liberty and LR3 both have them. Best tires I've ever ran on an SUV.

my coopers have over 45K on them and i'll get easy 60-65K out of them on my 04 dodge w/cummins. they are a great tire.

When I was self employed, I always put Michelins on my trucks. They lasted the longest and performed well in all sorts of weather.

I have Defender LTX on my Suburban now and they're fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back