New Accord=Stretched Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that the new model Accord is built on a stretched Civic platform.
I wonder whether this might be the real reason that the V-6 is now gone? Simply not enough room for it?
The coupe is gone as well.
I also wonder what other compromises Honda might have made in this bit of platform engineering?
I've been a little disappointed in Honda's offerings for the past decade or so, but I suppose that every make has its great model cycles as well as its mediocre ones.
I loved our eighties Civics and nineties Accords, but those models were from a long time ago.
Our '12 remains tight and free of rattles as it approaches five years and 75K and has needed nothing more than fluid changes and a set of tires, but it is nowhere near as entertaining to drive as some of the earlier cars.

Honda has never let "not enough room" prevent them from using a V6. So many of their engine bays are cramped
laugh.gif

An Accord cope and wagon would be nice, though. The coupe had still been selling in good numbers, and there is a Civic coupe.

But their real mistake was not making the sedans (both Accord and Civic) hatchbacks, with the rear wipers. The shape of the cars already lends to a fastback/hatch shape, so why not?

I'm going to guess that it's because of CAFE. Lots of other companies got rid of their V6 and only do a 4 cylinder. They're mad over at the Mercedes forum, used to be a 302hp V6 til they went to just a turbo 4 cylinder at 241hp.

Isn't the Acura TL based upon the accord? Is it getting a revision, and is it keeping a V6?

Personally, Ive always thought of FWD V6 sedans as kind of stupid. Granted, shoving a turbo in there makes things crammed as well... Ill suspect that for the use most of these midsize sedans see, the higher low-down torque of a turbo 4 is more useful than a V6...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Isn't the Acura TL based upon the accord? Is it getting a revision, and is it keeping a V6?

Personally, Ive always thought of FWD V6 sedans as kind of stupid. Granted, shoving a turbo in there makes things crammed as well... Ill suspect that for the use most of these midsize sedans see, the higher low-down torque of a turbo 4 is more useful than a V6...
You should drive a 285 hp V6 Camry. PLENTY of "low down torque" .

In about 1985 Honda came out with the Acura Legend luxury "big" sedan with a V6. Soon after the Accord became the dimensional twin of that older Legend and the Legend grew. A little after that the little Civic grew up and approached the same dimensions but not with V6. Finally, the trend of growing models is slowing down a bit. People are also discovering that a 4 is good enough and the extra expense of a V6 is just not a good deal. This is especially true for a DIY owner that gets gloves and a mirror on a stick and goes looking for the rear spark plugs using a safety line for someone to pull him out if he gets stuck (lol). For a DD a 4 cylinder is just good sense.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Our '12 remains tight and free of rattles

Same with mine. It's tight as a drum!! Something I love about it,the AC doesn't drag the engine a single bit. That car just goes effortlessly!!

I've never driven an Accord V6,but I've never driven a 4cyl that has the effortless power of the Honda K24. I couldn't imagine needing anything else in that car.

The CRV is built on the Civic platform. My 03 CRV comes stock with 160hp. It's fine for around town and normal freeway driving, but going up the mountains with 4 people and luggage is truly a struggle. I have a short ram intake and a cat-back exhaust but when loaded, the mountains do make a challenge for the K24 to keep up with vehicles in the fast lane.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'm going to guess that it's because of CAFE. Lots of other companies got rid of their V6 and only do a 4 cylinder. They're mad over at the Mercedes forum, used to be a 302hp V6 til they went to just a turbo 4 cylinder at 241hp.

Probably because they had 3.0l bitturbo engine that rated better epa mpg and 329hp in gle form. I would be mad too to spend over $45+ grand to have simliar type engine that can be had for 26 grand.

Quote:
Honda has never let "not enough room" prevent them from using a V6. So many of their engine bays are cramped

Truer words have never been spoken. Just look at the engine bay for the 10th generation Civic with the turbo, it looks like a mess in there, I feel like if I stuck my arm somewhere in there to get to something I might lose it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In about 1985 Honda came out with the Acura Legend luxury "big" sedan with a V6. Soon after the Accord became the dimensional twin of that older Legend and the Legend grew. A little after that the little Civic grew up and approached the same dimensions but not with V6. Finally, the trend of growing models is slowing down a bit. People are also discovering that a 4 is good enough and the extra expense of a V6 is just not a good deal. This is especially true for a DIY owner that gets gloves and a mirror on a stick and goes looking for the rear spark plugs using a safety line for someone to pull him out if he gets stuck (lol). For a DD a 4 cylinder is just good sense.
I have two V6 Camrys and changing plugs is not a problem, of course I own more than a hammer and a pair of Vice Grips.

The Accord did not approach the size of the original Legend until the 2003 debut of the Gen 7, nearly twenty years later.
I personally think that a four cylinder Accord is plenty and we've had/have five such cars.
Drive a V-6, though, and you can feel the appeal. Smooth and effortless power without any horrible loss in fuel economy, all for what amounts to a few bucks more in purchase expense.
There are plenty of V-6 Accords out there from Generations 5,6,7,8 and 9.
They're easily identified by the dual rear pipes.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I have two V6 Camrys and changing plugs is not a problem, of course I own more than a hammer and a pair of Vice Grips.

I used to have an ES300, and there was NO access to the rear spark plugs without removing the intake and all that other stuff. And worse,they require a special 2-prong platinum plug, with no longer-lasting iridium alternatives available! That is one of the few applications I'd use Bosch on because of the Platinum-Ir Fusion iridium plug with 4 prongs, which should last over 100k, so you won't have to do it again for a long time
crazy2.gif

My I30 (Maxima) is one of the few transverse V6 engines that has cutouts in the intake, so you can change the rear spark plugs (and coils, if needed) without removing the intake.

If you need to remove the intake to get to the back of the engine, always use iridium, and be sure to replace the valve cover gaskets too!

Originally Posted By: DaRider34

Probably because they had 3.0l bitturbo engine that rated better epa mpg and 329hp in gle form. I would be mad too to spend over $45+ grand to have simliar type engine that can be had for 26 grand.

Oh I was referring to the E-350 which used to be a 3.5L V6. Now they're calling it an E-300, not sure why as it's just a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder. The next set up is the E43. The E-300 starts at about 60k with basic options. If you want to go one step up to the E43, then it's more like 80k and then for the full V8 of the E63, you're talking over 100k. They got rid of smaller more intermediate cars like the E400 or E550.

Oh I was referring to the E-350 which used to be a 3.5L V6. Now they're calling it an E-300, not sure why as it's just a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder. The next set up is the E43. The E-300 starts at about 60k with basic options. If you want to go one step up to the E43, then it's more like 80k and then for the full V8 of the E63, you're talking over 100k. They got rid of smaller more intermediate cars like the E400 or E550.

Well supposedly they're bringing the E400 sedan for 2018. Other world markets already have it. 2018 Mercedes-Benz Updates Include New E400 Sedan

Last edited:
I just saw a picture of it earlier today so I went over to the Honda website to check it out some more. I like the front of the car but the back reminds me of the original Dodge Charger. They don't match each other. Interior looks nice but I still prefer a shift lever to the modern push button setup this one has.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I loved our eighties Civics and nineties Accords, but those models were from a long time ago.
Our '12 remains tight and free of rattles as it approaches five years and 75K and has needed nothing more than fluid changes and a set of tires, but it is nowhere near as entertaining to drive as some of the earlier cars.

My friend's dad has a 1989 Honda Civic with a 5 speed manual. Awesome car! He let me drive it for a bit and it is so much different from today's Hondas. The car felt solid, it was quiet inside, and handled well. It had over 200k miles on it but I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the rust on the outside. The car has pretty much just needed timing belt changes, oil changes, and tires/brakes throughout it's life.

The last Accord I REALLY liked was the one I owned, the third generation (86-89). Mine was an 89. They were unique in their category - sportier and cooler looking than anything else in the class. After that, the fourth generation was a stodgy looking family car. The fifth (94-97) generation got back a bit of the pizzazz, but not all of it.

These days, they don't seem very different to me than Camrys, Altimas, etc. The original concept was a nicely appointment SMALL car with good fuel economy. Now they're just another player in the crowded midsize market.

@DBMaster - I had a friend back in high school (circa 2000) who owned an absolutely mint, absolutely cherry 86 Accord with the pop-up headlights. It was a one-owner car and looked absolutely brand new inside and out. Less than 60,000 miles. The car was really pretty cool. It got wrecked (surprise!) - what a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back